Unstalling McAfee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich,

Thanks for the information so far: do you happen to know off the top of your head if Comcast subscribers can still get McAfee for free if you don't install it initially? Also, do you know if you can keep that service after you no longer have Comcast?

Yes, you can still get it: Comcast.net Security

I'm not sure how long the license is but I would imagine it is a year.

You'll see more and more places doing this. Comcast is the largest ISP for broadband in America and, consequently, have the most problems with unprotected systems. It's in their interest to have the host systems protected.

jandrusk said:
Linux users are not in denial, they just typically know how Linux systems work under the hood versus Windows guys that must trust Redmond. I'm not saying it's not possible, I"m just saying that you don't need those tools with the way security is designed in the UNIX world.
OK. Keep telling yourself that. Unix is secure - as long as you don't have any applications on it or critical data stored on it. You do realize that this server runs on Linux and it is patched nearly constantly for vulnerabilities found in the code of the OS and the applications? There is no such thing as an OS that is immune to exploitation.

It's interesting to look at the test results provided at AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Main-Tests

If you look at the most recent results February 2009 McAfee looks great with a detection rate of 99.1% compared to Avast's 98.2%.

But if you go back just one test cycle to August 2008 McAfee only has a detection rate of 92.5% and Avast has 98.7%.

I know there is more to Antivirus capabilities than just detection rates, but I've never been all that impressed with McAfee, maybe they are improving, maybe not.

I'm wouldn't hold my breath (or give them my money) until the next test cycle just to find out.

Just my :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back