Universal and Invisible Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZR

Puritan Board Freshman
When speaking of universal or catholic church and invisible church. It seems that they are synonyms. But I understand that it is not. So what do these two words have in common? And what are each of these words emphasizing?

When speaking of universal or catholic church and invisible church. It seems that they are synonyms. But I understand that it is not. So what do these two words have in common? And what are each of these words emphasizing?
Catholic Church means the whole of the visible church that confesses Christ. It is generally understood to include everyone who accepts the Apostle's Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the definitions of Chalcedon. Exact definitions may vary though. When the church fathers talk about the Catholic Church they are generally drawing a distinction from the heretics of their own day, like the Arians, the Manicheans, the Donatists, etc.
The invisible church is everyone that is united to Christ by faith.

I'm not aware of any actual difference between "universal church" and "invisible church".

Westminster Standards. Chapter 25, "Of the Church," states:

"The catholic or universal church, which is invisible, consists of the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ the Head thereof; and is the spouse, the body, the fullness of him that filleth all in all.

The visible church, which is also catholic or universal under the gospel (not confined to one nation, as before under the law), consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion; and of their children: and is the kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ, the house and family of God, out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation" (sections 1, 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back