United Methodist Church to Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that it's always the "more conservative" who have to leave, and never the "more liberal" having to walk the field and start over.

Because the 'conservatives' think that they have to take the 'high road' and play nice, while the liberals are familiar with the works of that 20th century theologian, Saul Alinsky. Just like some folks would have a Christ hating baby killer as president than someone rough around the edges that would actually deliver desirable results.

Isn’t there a window in which congregations can retain their property without penalty? The same for pensions?
My concern is the African church. Are they willing to leave the UMC and affiliate with a new denomination? I haven’t read anything about this. Also, will the new denomination still ordain women? Sadly, I suspect it will.
It's complicated. Can they leave? Sort of. It depends on their annual conference.

African churches actually do not want a denominational split. But they are also governed under a different set of rules. But they largely see the problem as a U.S. issue alone.

Yes, the new traditional church will still ordain women. However, they have said they will not have a trust clause meaning that a church could join the new traditional denomination and then disaffiliate completely with their property and assets.

Because the 'conservatives' think that they have to take the 'high road' and play nice,
There is much truth in this. The Wesleyan Covenant Association, leaders of the traditional push, have said they are the ones who are putting an end to the strife and diminishing testimony by leaving and ending the dispute.

Because the 'conservatives' think that they have to take the 'high road' and play nice, while the liberals are familiar with the works of that 20th century theologian, Saul Alinsky. Just like some folks would have a Christ hating baby killer as president than someone rough around the edges that would actually deliver desirable results.

There is much truth in this. The Wesleyan Covenant Association, leaders of the traditional push, have said they are the ones who are putting an end to the strife and diminishing testimony by leaving and ending the dispute.

I think we also have seen a lot of denial about how bad the situation is, overestimating how well conservatives can maintain their enclaves of orthodoxy, an excessive aversion to disunity even when the revisionists had already effectively shattered the internal unity of the denomination, and practically valuing institutionalism above all else. The threats to property and pensions for leaving do not help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back