Union with Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I have been unable to find it definitely on the board regarding union with Christ and its proper/pure definition, so I was wondering if I could get a little help. Are the benefits of union with Christ, regeneration, justification, sanctification, etc.? Is it separate from any one of those?
What of the whole imputation thing? Some people say that union with Christ would make imputation redundant, so do they radically separate union with Christ from the benefits of the union...or...?
Thanks!

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,

Our union with Christ is the foundation of every spiritual blessing which we have or will yet have. The biblical doctrine of union with Christ is one of the fullest in all of the Word of God. A good beginning in the study of this truth would be to search every use of the phrases "in Christ" or "in Him" in the book of Ephesians.

Are the benefits of union with Christ, regeneration, justification, sanctification, etc.? Is it separate from any one of those?

WLC Q. 64. What is the invisible church?

A. The invisible church is the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one under Christ the head.

Q. 65. What special benefits do the members of the invisible church enjoy by Christ?

A. The members of the invisible church by Christ enjoy union and communion with him in grace and glory.

Q. 66. What is that union which the elect have with Christ?

A. The union which the elect have with Christ is the work of God’s grace, whereby they are spiritually and mystically, yet really and inseparably, joined to Christ as their head and husband; which is done in their effectual calling.

Union with Christ is a part of Effectual Calling out of which logically flows Justification, Adoption, Sanctification, and all other benefits of Redemption.

I have another question. How is Union related to sanctification (not definitive sanctification)?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by 'how'.

LBC 13; Paragraph 1. They who are united to Christ, effectually called, and regenerated, having a new heart and a new spirit created in them through the virtue of Christ's death and resurrection, are also farther sanctified, really and personally,1 through the same virtue, by his Word and Spirit dwelling in them;2 the dominion of the whole body of sin is destroyed,3 and the several lusts of it are more and more weakened and mortified,4 and they more and more quickened and strengthened in all saving graces,5 to the practice of all true holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.6

Rom 8 teaches that when we are united with Christ our indwelling sin is progressively removed and replaced by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. This causes a weakening of sin and a strengthening of holiness. Union with Christ is the fountain from which Sanctification flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back