Understanding Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutics

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Morning,

Does anyone know of any resources that explains Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutics? I'm specifically looking for any books or lectures that traces the historical development of this understanding and goes into the technical aspects of it.

Over the past year I have increasingly encountered arguments in support of the elimination of gender roles in the church and the explanation from scripture is almost entirely made using a trajectory hermeneutical approach. I've recently heard this approach used in a Bible study offered at a PCA church in my community, I've heard some voices in the SBC use it on social media in support of women preachers, and most recently have heard it used by some in the Wesleyan Covenant Association which is trying to carve out territory near me as the UMC splits into new denominations.

The attacks made on gender roles and distinctions isn't new to me, but most of the time the arguments I've heard have been based on emotion. I only recently discovered that those who defend it exegetically employ this sort of redemptive-movement approach.

Much appreciated.

So we are clear we are not talking of the Rdemptive Historical hermeneutic correct?
If so, I think William Webb has the most systematic case for it in his book Women, Slaves and Homosexuals. Unfortunately, as I heard and read reviews of it, he routinely conflates redemptive history (Mosaic law amd general equity) with that of more nuanced cultural appropriations.
Equally unfortunate, I have been seeing voices in the systematic arena like Kevin Giles argue that 'prooftexting' isn't enough while making analogous the views of the Trinity with that of homosexuals and women taking the reverse approach that Grudem et al make.

Those who were trying to abolish slavery used this Hermenuetic which has been borrowed by Egalitarians and other groups. My pastor wrote the below book a rebutle to Webbs book.

Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0830815619/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EuwyFbN6VCH68

Women, Slaves, and the Gender Debate: A Complementarian Response to the Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1596384018/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_omwyFbF74V0VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back