UN climate report a "code red for humanity" says the NY Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerusalem Blade

Puritan Board Professor
UN climate report a "code red for humanity"

"Earth’s climate is getting so hot that temperatures in about a decade will probably blow past a level of warming that world leaders have sought to prevent, according to a report released Monday that the United Nations calls a 'code red for humanity.' " https://nypost.com/2021/08/09/un-report-global-warming-is-likely-to-blow-past-paris-limit/

The UN climate report has electrified and alarmed folks around the world, for it is pretty much incontrovertible that earth is experiencing increasingly hotter weather, and the results in droughts, famines, and fires.

What puzzles me is that very rarely do I see awareness of the statement made by the Spirit of the LORD regarding the increase of heat upon the earth:

"And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory" (Rev 16:8,9).​

I do not see much (if any) mention of it even in Christian publications. Thoughts?

I'm hesitant to use current events as a touchstone for predicting Judgment, but, I am not at all hesitant to let the markers of fire, drought, accompanying helplessness, etc., to be the launching point of a discussion on Judgment.

If people are worried about fire and heat, yes, we have the opportunity to show what God tells us. I've looked at 2 Peter 3 more than usual lately:

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. (2 Pet. 3:9-10 NKJ)

UN climate report a "code red for humanity"

"Earth’s climate is getting so hot that temperatures in about a decade will probably blow past a level of warming that world leaders have sought to prevent, according to a report released Monday that the United Nations calls a 'code red for humanity.' " https://nypost.com/2021/08/09/un-report-global-warming-is-likely-to-blow-past-paris-limit/

The UN climate report has electrified and alarmed folks around the world, for it is pretty much incontrovertible that earth is experiencing increasingly hotter weather, and the results in droughts, famines, and fires.

What puzzles me is that very rarely do I see awareness of the statement made by the Spirit of the LORD regarding the increase of heat upon the earth:

"And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory" (Rev 16:8,9).​

I do not see much (if any) mention of it even in Christian publications. Thoughts?
I guess I read different scientists than the ones reports like this come from because they have a different view of what's happening and why. Does God's promise to manind in Genesis 8:22 not contradict these kinds of warnings?

I guess I read different scientists than the ones reports like this come from because they have a different view of what's happening and why. Does God's promise to manind in Genesis 8:22 not contradict these kinds of warnings?

I think all of these are good thoughts. There might be a difference between what Genesis 8:22 says and Rev 19.

Just speculation but here it goes. . . The sun rays in tropical climates burn your skin due to UV radiation if you don't put on sun block. How I am reading this in Revelation is that it intensifies to perhaps make certain areas (Middle East, Dessert) uninhabitable while others areas north are still habitable due to high UV rays from the sun. Even the habitable zones may have this problem but not to the extent one would experience on the equator.

"Earth’s climate is getting so hot that temperatures in about a decade will probably blow past a level of warming that world leaders have sought to prevent, according to a report released Monday that the United Nations calls a 'code red for humanity.' "

Well, you know what I think about all this. But I'll keep it to myself on this thread.
Just saying.

Ed

With confidence levels this high, as a contrarian I'd recommend investing in some serious global cooling prep....
https://iceagenow.info/northern-hemisphere-snow-cover-trending-upward-since-1967/ ?

Or, just admit that we can't predict the weather very far out, and the climate modeling "experts" are batting a cool .000, so we're even less accurate about climate trends (but hysteria sells quite well). Scripture is clear: God alone is in charge of the sun, clouds, rain, heat, cold, wind, tides... The thought that "world leaders" have tried to prevent or stimulate any such changes is a direct blasphemy, a violation of the 3rd Commandment.

Addressing pollution and exercising stewardship of creation is not on par with "anthropogenic warming/cooling" claims, which are on par with witch-doctory.

With confidence levels this high, as a contrarian I'd recommend investing in some serious global cooling prep....
https://iceagenow.info/northern-hemisphere-snow-cover-trending-upward-since-1967/ ?

I think you might be confusing climate change with global warming. The overall average temperature technically increases 1.5 degrees Celcius according to the report. But that doesn't mean we don't get more severe thunderstorms and blizzards. I think they say that 1.5 degree shift can melt enough snow to reduce the temps in the ocean. Ocean temperature has a huge influence on weather patterns. It can create deep freezes in winter or hurricanes in summer.

PS. I am on the fence regarding climate change.

"I've found a cure for all your ills!" declares the snake oil salesman. "That'll be $10,000."

I'm a little bit skeptical of anyone who says that my wallet is the solution to a global problem. And the climate, of all things. You really think raising taxes is going to help? That's a little far-fetched, and arrogant, if they really think they have the power to alter weather patterns.

It's hard to take the alarmists seriously at this point. They've cried "The sky is falling!" a few too many times. And it's become more apparent that governments (who fund the research) just want taxpayers' money.

Whatever they case, I have no basis to trust any of these alarmist climate experts.

I certainly share concerns about global cooling.

My bent is along these lines too, but I'm secretly rooting for warming. Contrary to the alarmists, I see wonderful things coming from warmer over-all weather.

I really would like to grow date palms in my home garden.

I'll take this more seriously once I see global pressure and censure brought to bear on the country which emits almost 2x the greenhouse gases of the next largest polluter.

Until then, I see it as just one more political game of which I am growing weary.

Climate change is leftist propaganda in my opinion. Plus, even if it was real, according to them, even if everyone else did something, China wouldn't, and thus nothing would change.

My bent is along these lines too, but I'm secretly rooting for warming. Contrary to the alarmists, I see wonderful things coming from warmer over-all weather.

I really would like to grow date palms in my home garden.
Yeah but the ski areas!

I've basically ceased caring whatever it is due to my libertarian convictions. I like liberty and believe people, especially the poor, need a little more money in their pockets. Wind farms in Africa, if the liberal globalists bother to build them there, won't do that.

Having not previously thought too hard about Rev 16:8-9 in this context, it's interesting that people are very insistent that humanity take all the credit for global warming, despite the fact that the earth's climate has been warmer at periods than it currently is, yet we could not then have caused it. And it is known that it was the sun that caused that heat, and the sun that caused the Little Ice Age, though many won't acknowledge that sun as belonging to God. The global warming revelry is indeed mankind's lack of repentance to give God His due glory for the might He controls within one mere star amidst His creation, among other things.

I for one believe it's nearly impossible to deny that the earth is in a period of warming, and that man is contributing significantly to that phenomenon. How could releasing 40+ billion tons of man-made CO2 every year not affect the atmosphere and subsequently the weather? Unprecedented mass deforestation in the tropics is undeniable as well, and that means our largest natural carbon-sinks are being diminished at the same time.

Progress and development are a two-edged sword. Many good and necessary things come about from it, while at the same time excesses, too often motivated by good ol' fashioned greed or just gross carelessness, make man's activities have a bigger impact on the earth than would be ideal or necessary. Collectively man has not been the best steward of God's creation. And according to divine principles that must have consequences. We reap what we sow.

I believe there are of course natural causes effecting climate as well, such as increased sun spot activity, the current closer-in phase of our somewhat eliptical orbit around the sun and the resultant increased solar radiation, etc. These are typically ignored by the media and climate pundits.

Overall, I don't see how viewing a combination of man-made and natural causes conflicts with the notion that the current warming could be a sign of judgment. Man sometimes contributes to his own demise within a larger divenly-ordered judgment event.

Concerning Gen. 8:22, I guess I don't see a promise that those orders of nature that God has decreed for the earth's entire lifespan, will never change in degree or be adversley affected by various factors. All things being always and firmly within God's purvue and soverighnty to be sure.

Of course the way climate change is being made into a false relgion through its co-option by the political left and other new-order forces for their own nefarious purposes, especially in terms of their suppossed and not-to-be-questioned solutions that are clearly designed to bring about wealth redistribution and social engineering more than anything else, is another matter.

:2cents:

Last edited:
How could releasing 40+ billion tons of man-made CO2 every year not affect the atmosphere and subsequently the weather?

So far the CO2 has affected the atmosphere in a big way. There is a great greening of the earth due to the increased "plant food." Particularly in the regions around China and India. There's more OT being generated and food production is up too. You can read all about this from NASA websites. (And NASA is no friend of CO2)

Here are a few:

There are plenty more similar reports.

So far the CO2 has affected the atmosphere in a big way. There is a great greening of the earth due to the increased "plant food." Particularly in the regions around China and India. There's more OT being generated and food production is up too. You can read all about this from NASA websites. (And NASA is no friend of CO2)
Sure, there'se nothing saying that warming couldn't have its pros and cons. But it would seem to stand to reason that the more intense the warming might become, there would likey be more cons than pros.

Just like the COVID nonsense, this will be a prediction that is far worse than reality. However, it will give leftist politicians an excuse to implement extremist climate policies (which will actually do nothing), and then 10 years down the road, they will say "see, we saved the world - listen to us". Meanwhile the "do nothing" option would have been better and cheaper.

/Moderating
The thread is in Revelation and Eschatology. Interact with the OP and take Covid stuff to that forum and global warming to wherever is appropriate.

I thought the OP did concern global warming..?
Yes, but as a backdrop for asking a particular question, which is how the fourth vial of judgment (Rev. 16:8-9) relates or does not relate to the phenomenon called "global warming," and whether any publications have discussed that relationship.

It’s just that for the last decade or so, the summers around the world have been getting hotter and hotter – I mean really hot, in some areas killing hot. I’m not one for “newspaper exegesis”, yet I observe the world I live in, while keeping the Scriptures in my mind as I do.

Somehow we do not factor the Book of Revelation into our assessment of the days in which we live, despite the gruesome and grotesque manifestations of profoundly wicked – I think I can easily say, demonic – attacks against and revilings of cultural and moral norms, not to (but merely) mention the blatant attempt to subvert the very political foundations of our country. Something great and terrible is really afoot in our land and we don’t look to the Scripture for light, as others eras have. Why is that?

Sure, even two, three, and more decades back, there were grievous ills plaguing our nation – I’m not at all one to romanticize it. But what is now is a great darkness uncannily seeking to uproot all that remains sane, decent, and God-honoring. What happened? Can we pinpoint a distinct causal factor? Many have pointed to the sexual revolution of the 1960s (Woodstock) counterculture as the source, but it goes deeper, to the source of that.

Before I go there let me say that the psychic atmosphere – call it the zeitgeist, spirit of the age, or simply the collective human consciousness – has become a savage wilderness where anything goes, anything is permissible, for God is not in it. And why is He not? Because this spirit is from the pit. It entered into the “collective human consciousness” from the abyss of Hell through the judicial providence of God, sparing “only those men which have…the seal of God in their foreheads” (Rev 9:4b). You don’t buy the wine Babylon is selling because God has protected you by His word and His Spirit.

And the darkness of our world will further darken in accelerating increments until you can no longer have any doubts that you are now in the day when Satan has been “loosed a little season” and is gathering his hordes to settle “the Christian problem”. The fruit is not ripe yet, but very near.

Back in the OT days of Antiochus Epiphanes – before his days actually – He had Daniel write and foretell of this one who savagely wasted the Old Testament church – with warnings to enable the saints to prepare their hearts and minds for trouble. In those days the clear predictions of Daniel gave the saints warning, and they knew God was in control despite appearances to the contrary; we have the same need for when our own time of troubles come, and they are coming, if we but understand the warnings aright.

But the Book of Revelation is sealed to us as a resource – unlike other parts of the Scripture – for a number of reasons, one of which is false eschatological views, but primarily from unbelief due to inadequate teaching and exposition. Just look at this thread! Revelation 16:8, 9 says clearly God will so affect the sun that the earth will be scorched with unbearable killing heat, and we drift off into politics and science, ignoring His word.

We are in the midst of something (not just the heat – which is only faintly beginning) and do not have the spiritual vision to see it.

Last edited:
Somehow we do not factor the Book of Revelation into our assessment of the days in which we live, despite the gruesome and grotesque manifestations of profoundly wicked – I think I can easily say, demonic – attacks against and revilings of cultural and moral norms, not to (but merely) mention the blatant attempt to subvert the very political foundations of our country. Something great and terrible is really afoot in our land and we don’t look to the Scripture for light, as others eras have. Why is that?
I have said for some time now that Eph 6:11-13 is one of the most relevant passages for our time:
Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

In the 1960's Martyn Lloyd-Jones had perceptive insight regarding the issues that the church and the world would face in decades to come. His sermons on spiritual warfare are just as wise and spiritually perceptive now as they were when preached in the 1960's.
See https://www.mljtrust.org/free-sermons/book-of-ephesians/6/ [Sermons 4183 to 4252].

Steve, I apologize for any part my posts had in being an undue distraction. I was initially trying to relate how I think science and politics might factor into an understanding that the warming earth is currently experiencing is a judgment. I hope that was a least somewhat evident.

Regarding the OP, I will admit I'm often very hesitant to make a direct connection between a particular earthly event and what is prophisied in Revelation or other prophetic books of the Bible. Can we really be sure of the coorelation? This difficulty is only heightened with the apocalyptic language used in scripture, which is often laced with representative symbolism. Rev. 16 is full of such references - e.g. rivers turned to blood vs. 3, 4 - some of which, like the previous example, would seem to possibly take place prior to the occurence of the sun scourge in vs. 8, 9.

As such there seems good reason why many stalwart theologians have shied away from making dogmatic declarations of such a nature, like Calvin for instance - and I'm sure not inclined to (James 3:1).

Having said this, I think your general lament about a laxness or disinterest among too many Christians with regard to prophised eschatological events and their possible relevance to what we can observe in our current world, is valid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back