Ultimate biblical song/artist/group list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Puritan Board Sophomore
My wife and I are trying to build our music library for the family. We would like to have a broad collection of styles for our sons (one and three) to listen too. But we only want biblical music. We like everything from bluegrass to Lecrea so we are hoping that all the music buffs on the PB can help us out.

Please post your favorite biblical song/artist/group so that we can build a mega list and expose our sons to many different styles of music that is Christ honoring. :sing:

Casting Crowns
David Crowder
DC Talk
Justifide
Kutless
Matthew West
Newsboys
Phillips, Craig and Dean
Skillet
Sonic Flood
Thousand Foot Krutch
Toby Mac
Todd Agnew

Hope this helps.

My kids and I enjoy Casting Crowns, Third Day, and Mercy Me. Casting Crowns is Southern Baptist, not sure about the other two. I have all of Casting Crowns CD's, but my absolute favorite is their latest, The Altar and the Door. Third Day is more like rock or southern rock, I don't have all of their albums, but Chronolgy One and Two have a little bit from each of their albums. Revelation is my favorite of theirs. Anything by Mercy Me is good too.

I almost forgot, Selah, they do a lot of hymns and those are awesome. The better ones of theirs are Hiding Place and Greatest Hymns.

Don't leave out Sons of Korah.

Yeah, I really like them.

And, Ricky Skaggs has some great gospel music.

A lot of repeats, but here goes:

BarlowGirl
Bebo Norman
Big Daddy Weave
Big Tent Revival (I grew up with this on all the time)
Brandon Heath
Building 429
Casting Crowns
Chris Tomlin (This guy is REALLY good)
David Crowder
dc Talk
Jars of Clay
Jeremy Camp
John Waller
Kutless
Lecrae
Tedashii
Leeland
Matthew West
MercyMe
Michael W. Smith
Newsboys
Phillips, Craig & Dean
Robbie Seay Band
Rush of Fools
Sanctus Real
Steven Curtis Chapman
Third Day
Tree63
All the guys from the 116 Clique (Tedashii, Trip Lee, Lecrae, Shai Linn, Sho Baraka, etc.)

I have all of these bands on my iPod (and way more, but I limited my suggestions). Each of these groups or artists have at least a few really good songs, while others have entirely great albums (Third Day's Revelation was already mentioned, for example).

Phillips, Craig & Dean
:wow:

These guys are heretics. They are modalists.

Brother,

Unless one already knew this then you wouldn't be able to tell it by their songs. I'm not saying whether one should or shouldn't listen to them, I'm just saying I don't think a lot of people know this about them. Their songs don't scream out that they are modalists. They actually have several good songs that they sing.

My wife and I are trying to build our music library for the family. We would like to have a broad collection of styles for our sons (one and three) to listen too. But we only want biblical music. We like everything from bluegrass to Lecrea so we are hoping that all the music buffs on the PB can help us out.

Please post your favorite biblical song/artist/group so that we can build a mega list and expose our sons to many different styles of music that is Christ honoring. :sing:

Indelible Grace
Red Mountain Music
Caedmon's Call

these are some of my personal favorites.

Phillips, Craig & Dean
:wow:

These guys are heretics. They are modalists.

Brother,

Unless one already knew this then you wouldn't be able to tell it by their songs. I'm not saying whether one should or shouldn't listen to them, I'm just saying I don't think a lot of people know this about them. Their songs don't scream out that they are modalists. They actually have several good songs that they sing.

That may be true. But, the knowledge of their theological stance is not as rare as one may think. Personally, I find it amazing how much play their music gets with the knowledge of their Christology. Most radio managers know this. And, many in the audience do as well. Follow the money and you will see the answer.

I don't want to derail the thread, but buying their music helps them to perpetuate their doctrine.

Phil Keaggy is a must add to the list. There are a lot of Keaggy videos on YouTube. Most recently he has focused on acoustic instrumentals, but the vocal tracks I've heard are quite good also. I've really just started to get into him. He started out as the guitarist in a "power trio" a la Cream, etc.

-----Added 1/2/2009 at 12:32:58 EST-----

Yeah, I know what they believe. Fortunately, their music is very good and Biblical, even if they aren't!

Along those same lines then, it wouldn't be inappropriate to mention Jamie Soles even though he's CREC.

Whatever the errors of CREC and the FV, they pale in comparison with Oneness Pentecostalism, which is worse than Romanism in my opinion. (Edit: Which is I suppose the point Guido's Brother is making. Might as well add John Michael Talbot, who is RC, too.) If PCD are ok, then you might as well add T.D. Jakes, who is also a recording artist, I believe. See here for more on PCD from the AOMIN site. If there is any better symptom of the pragmatism and theological ignorance and indifference of evangelicals, many of whom ought to know better, I can't think of one.

Yeah, I know what they believe. Fortunately, their music is very good and Biblical, even if they aren't!

Along those same lines then, it wouldn't be inappropriate to mention Jamie Soles even though he's CREC.

I don't know who that is, sorry. All I know is that if someone is so concerned about following the money trails of what they buy, they wouldn't buy from almost any major Christian brand such as Zondervan or shop at Wal-Mart or any major company at all, etc. I mean, where do we draw the line and conclude that no matter where we invest we are usually funding ungodliness?
Though let it be said that I don't mean we should be totally flippant about where we invest.

Anyway, I will do as my conscience sees fit, you do as yours sees fit. I don't have time to define my perspective very thoroughly and I don't care to argue about it.

God bless you, brothers :)

Hey I thought of one more, eventhough some of his lyrics are a bit of, I like his style Andrew Peterson.

Here's more from the AOMIN (James White's ministry) article, just in case the link got buried in the new format of combining posts:

It is somewhat difficult to understand why Phillips, Craig and Dean would work so hard to conceal their true beliefs, particularly if, as their literature teaches, they believe that the true gospel message--the gospel that saves--is not the gospel of the evangelical world. At best one may only speculate what the reasons may be. Is it simply that they are earning a substantial amount of money from the evangelical community, and do not want that income to dry up? Or is something else involved?
Perhaps some light may be shed on the matter from an excerpt of a recent church service at the Promiseland. Randy Phillips’ father Kenneth Phillips stood up after a young lady had just finished performing the song “Awesome God,” and began to speak about the talent in the Oneness movement:
“It always amazes me, and I’ve been reared around it--the incredible talent that’s in the Jesus Name people; the people that have been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Some of the greatest preachers in the world, including T.D. Jakes and Tommy Tenney and all of those wonderful Jesus’ Name people...and then it seemed like there’s so many piano players and bass players and guitar players and saxophone players and song writers...and song writers...song writers...people that get together and just worship the Lord Jesus. We used to just be in tents, and brush arbors, and on campgrounds, but now--word’s got out, and it’s all over the world. People singing our song, people playing our music, people preaching our sermons--isn’t that incredible? I’m glad that I was on the ground floor of this--ground floor of this, prayed for this, believed for this.”[42]
Bishop Phillips expresses that it has been his desire all along for Oneness preachers and musicians to enter the mainstream evangelical world. But for what purpose? Surely it is not solely to sell books and music to the evangelical community. It seems entirely possible that Kenneth Phillips desires to use evangelical media and marketing channels to spread the Oneness gospel. Perhaps not now, at least not openly--but at some point, when the evangelical community has accepted T.D. Jakes, Tommy Tenney, PCD, and others wholeheartedly into their ranks--after years of heartfelt, emotional sermons, and music loved by evangelicals. One can almost hear the argument being raised even now:
“If their music is so moving, and we listen to their sermons, and we’ve welcomed them into the evangelical community as leaders now for years...maybe that means that what we believe, and what they believe about the nature of God is not an essential issue. Maybe the Trinity is not such a big deal after all. And maybe the gospel is the same way.”
Take heed brethren, I beg of you. "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matt. 18:6

Last edited:
:wow: Wow... it seems that Casting Crowns is a hot favorite here.

Here is my list:

1. Songs from Sovereign Grace Music
  2. Songs from The Mandate (Stuart Townend and Robin Mark are the song leaders)
  3. Keith and Kristyn Getty
  4. Casting Crowns (of course!)
  5. Steven Curtis Chapman (I like his older stuff)
  6. Twila Paris
  7. Glad
  8. 4Him
  9. The Continentals
  10. Steve Green

Sufjan Stevens is really cool too... He's Episcopalian (I think), but I've never heard lyrics in his songs that were bad or raised red flags.

A lot of repeats, but here goes:

BarlowGirl
Bebo Norman
Big Daddy Weave
Big Tent Revival (I grew up with this on all the time)
Brandon Heath
Building 429
Casting Crowns
Chris Tomlin (This guy is REALLY good)
David Crowder
dc Talk
Jars of Clay
Jeremy Camp
John Waller
Kutless
Lecrae
Tedashii
Leeland
Matthew West
MercyMe
Michael W. Smith
Newsboys
Phillips, Craig & Dean
Robbie Seay Band
Rush of Fools
Sanctus Real
Steven Curtis Chapman
Third Day
Tree63
All the guys from the 116 Clique (Tedashii, Trip Lee, Lecrae, Shai Linn, Sho Baraka, etc.)

I have all of these bands on my iPod (and way more, but I limited my suggestions). Each of these groups or artists have at least a few really good songs, while others have entirely great albums (Third Day's Revelation was already mentioned, for example).

:lol: I thought it was funny that I have never even heard of a single one of these people/groups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back