Typology and the Wisdom of Solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

I was doing a study on Solomon as a Type of Christ and starting thinking about the this verse when God granted Solomon wisdom. The verse says,

1Ki 3:11 And God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right,
1Ki 3:12 behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you.​

I certainly do not think that Solomon's wisdom would exceed that of Christ, but a plain reading of the verse seems to perhaps indicate this being true. How should we make sense of this passage when comparing the Wisdom of Solomon to Christ?

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, it says someone greater is here in the NT. But the old says nobody will surpass Solomon in Wisdom.

Is there somewhere that says Solomon broke covenant and God did not bless him entirely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, it says someone greater is here in the NT. But the old says nobody will surpass Solomon in Wisdom.

Below is how the Puritan, John Mayer wrestled with this text.

WAS SOLOMON WISER THAN Jesus? JOHN MAYER: It is not Solomon’s case alone to ask for this wisdom and obtain it. Rather, whoever is willing to ask for it in faith shall obtain it, as James says: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” The prayer of Solomon for wisdom is more largely set forth in Wisdom 9 and also Sirach 51. With this petition of Solomon, God was so pleased that he gave him both wisdom exceeding that of all others before and after him, and riches and honor. He also promised him long life if he continued to walk in God’s commandments. But is it meant that in wisdom Solomon should excel all others? Was he wiser than Adam, Moses, the prophets, the apostles and also Christ Jesus? And did he excel all kings without exception in riches and glory, as Croesus, Xerxes, Alexander and Nebuchadnezzar?
I answer that Jesus Christ was not only man but God, and therefore he cannot come into question in this comparison. As for Adam, before his fall he was without doubt as wise as Solomon both in natural and in divine things. The comparison, therefore, is made between Solomon and all other mere humans since the fall. In things natural, none was ever so suddenly made as wise as Solomon was in youth, for Sirach 7 says that it was given to him to know the constitution of the world and elements, the nature of beasts, trees and plants in addition to divine things. Still, the prophets and apostles excelled him in divine things. There are several things concerning this wisdom, therefore. First, as for natural and political wisdom enabling one to govern, there was none like him. Second, for all kinds of wisdom, no king was ever comparable to him, and the comparison is expressly made between him and all other kings. Last, as for riches and glory, no king of Israel was ever like him. And for other things—taking all three together: wisdom, riches and glory—there was never any who might be compared to him in any country. For although one might have a larger dominion and more riches, he would still come short of Solomon in wisdom, which is the greatest property. Whereas long life is promised to him if he kept the commandments, it seems that God foresaw his soul falling into idolatry and therefore spoke in this way. And the event answered the prediction, for Solomon died before he was very old, namely, about sixty years old.

Cooper, Derek et al., eds. 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles: Old Testament. V. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2016. Print. Reformation Commentary on Scripture.

John Gill's response to the question you pose:

This must be understood of men since the fall; for Adam, doubtless, had a larger stock of knowledge and understanding in his state of innocence than ever Solomon had; and it must be restrained to political and natural knowledge; for, as for divine knowledge, Kimchi excepts Moses; and we may well except the apostles of Christ for spiritual and evangelical knowledge; and as for our Lord, the antitype of Solomon, he is greater than him in all kind of knowledge, all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge being hid in him, see Matt. 12:42. Col. 2:3.

Gill, John. An Exposition of the Old Testament. Vol. 2. London: Mathews and Leigh, 1810. Print. The Baptist Commentary Series.

Is there somewhere that says Solomon broke covenant and God did not bless him entirely?

Solomon would eventually allow his heart to be turned to other gods.

But king Solomon loved many strange women (together* with the daughter of Pharaoh), women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites: 2of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, ‘Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods’: Solomon cleaved unto these in love. 3And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 4For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 5For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom* the abomination of the Ammonites. 6And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went* not fully after the LORD, as did David his father. 7Then did Solomon build a high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. 8And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.
9And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice, 10and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded. 11Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, ‘Forasmuch as this is* done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father’s sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 13Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom: but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen.’

Norton, David, ed. The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha: King James Version. Revised edition. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2011. Print.

I answer that Jesus Christ was not only man but God, and therefore he cannot come into question in this comparison. As for Adam, before his fall he was without doubt as wise as Solomon both in natural and in divine things. The comparison, therefore, is made between Solomon and all other mere humans since the fall.

This statements fits in line with the phrase “none like you” and in my opinion closes the question. Thanks!

It's probably a semitic hyperbole. In any case, the OT mentions circumcision and burnt offerings lasting forever, and they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back