Trouble with google search engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I realise that Google is one of the best and that the search function for the board is free but look for postings on divorce and you get the following adverts

Ads by Google

{ads removed so they aren't on the PB. Suffice to say they weren't nice}

I realise that Google is one of the best and that the search function for the board is free but look for postings on divorce and you get the following adverts

Ads by Google

There is a good reason why we use the site search. Google invests $millions in technology to index and search sites to provide relevant content for certain keywords. The results relevant to the board are easiest found there. If you want to avoid seeing the Sponsored Links (that we have no control over) then use Advanced Search. You won't get very relevant results but, if you're distracted by the Sponsored Links, you won't have to see them.

Does puritanboard have Google AdSense?

If so, doesn't that allow you to control the types of ads that come up?

If not, why not?

AdSense is not Google Search. They are two different products. One feeds the other but they are not the same.

As to why I don't spend a lot of time messing with the Sponsored Ads:

1. A wife.
2. Four children.
3. A Church.
4. A full time job.
5. Fun answering suggestions on the PuritanBoard.
6. Sleep.

It may not be meticulous, but sometimes something is better than nothing.

I would be more than happy to look into it and see what i can do with it for y'all if you would like.

It may not be meticulous, but sometimes something is better than nothing.

I would be more than happy to look into it and see what i can do with it for y'all if you would like.

Larry,

I should apologize for sounding flippant. It's actually not because I don't understand it. If you check out WebsiteMaven | Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, & Advice, I have actually spent a lot of time (in the past) understanding search engines. My knowledge is a couple of years dated but it's not completely antiquated yet. Adsense works by sensing the type of content that a site has. We actually don't use ad sense here to push ads.

Google Search, on the other hand, will drive ads based on keyword(s) that the user searches for. Since we don't really have a lot of keywords on this site that will cause objectionable ads to be included with the search results it's mostly a non-issue (the proverbial "Tempest in a Teapot"). I can assure you that if you searched for the top 100 keywords that people use for this site then they wouldn't produce any Ads because nobody creates a keyword ad for "Calvin killed Servetus".

I know there's a way to block the .01% case but I just would prefer to tell the user: "If you're really worried about it and think that your search term might produce a Sponsored Ad that will bug you then use the Advanced Search feature." As I said, you're likely to not find what you're looking for but at least you won't have to see what might happen if you type "divorce" and find ads for a divorce attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back