Trip to Scotland/England!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dearly Bought

Puritan Board Junior
My wife and I have the incredible blessing of being able to go on a vacation to England and Scotland next week! Our itinerary will take us through London, Edinburgh, the Highlands, York, and back down to London. We're looking forward to worshipping with the Edinburgh FCC and the Presbyterian Reformed Church in Stockton-on-Tees.

Does anyone have any travel tips? I know there are some Scots and Englishmen on this board, so let me know what you recommend!

In London, there are several grand old churches worth seeing, among them St. Giles Cripplegate. Westminster Abbey is impressive, though to Americans it can look a bit gaudy with all the tombs and monuments inside. The church next door is St. Margaret's Westminster, where Edward Pearse ministered. You might enjoy visiting the Evangelical Library, started by Martyn Lloyd-Jones, which has an amazing collection of 17th century volumes.

If time permits, the Tower of London is very interesting. And a day trip to Oxford and/or Cambridge is certainly worth it. Trains and/or buses run almost hourly to both places. Also in London is the Metropolitan Tabernacle, where Spurgeon ministered for so many years. They have an impressive book shop.

That should give you a start!

We went to Scotland last fall and are hoping to return next summer for a longer stay. Before going I would heartily suggest that you familiarize yourself with the currency - we were totally clueless, LOL! Also, the rail system is wonderful as were the city buses in Edinburgh. I highly recommend The End of the World, a pub in Edinburgh - their haggis, neeps, and tatties dish is comfort food at its finest.

Last edited:
York is a fine City that I know well. Many of my forefathers were Freemen of the city. The area covered by the city walls can easily be covered on foot.

The City has a rich heritage spanning two millennium. Founded by the Romans in the 1st Century AD, three Roman Emperors held court in York. Some Roman remains are still visible although much has been built on over the years. For example, the site of the Roman fort where Constantine the Great was proclaimed Emperor is now occupied by York Minster.

Some of the many things to see and do:

The Yorkshire Museum – Many of the archaeological finds from the city are displayed here.

The Minster – I think it is the second largest cathedral in Europe. First church built Mid 7th Century, the present building built in 12th Century. From memory, Miles Coverdale is associated with one of the buildings around the Minster.

Jorvik Center – A fantastic reconstruction of the Viking settlement that occupied the site in around the 10th Century recreating the sights, sounds and smells of Viking York.

The York Castle Museum – A great museum recreating a Victorian York Street and incorporating the York Castle Prison where the infamous highwayman , Dick Turpin, was imprisoned and executed.

The National Railway Museum - Home of the national collection of historically significant railway vehicles. Including the “Mallard” official world speed record for steam locomotives, “Olton Hall” better known as the “Hogwarts Express” and a number of “Royal Trains” used over the years.

Medieval Parish Churches – A particular interest of mine as many my ancestors were baptised, married or buried at many of them. It is thought there were originally +40 parish churches in York around 14th Century. Remains of twenty still survive and twelve are still in use as churches. St Michael-le-Belfrey is of note (next to the Minster) as the place where Guy Fawkes was baptised (16 Apr 1570 – there are two other properties located nearby marked as his birthplace and residence).

The Shambles – An original old street in York with overhanging timber framed buildings dating back to the 14th Century.

Have a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back