Trinity Bible project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi Friends,

I am very sorry for a misunderstanding that I caused a couple of months back, when something I wrote was taken by someone to impy that the Trinitarian Bible Society is supporting a translation project. I have never asked the Trinitarian Bible Society to back a translation project, and I have never claimed to be working on their behalf. I regret using the word 'mentoring' to describe the assistance and encouragement given occasionally and informally to this project in a purely private capacity by one of the Trinitarian Bible Society's editors. I continue to respect the fine work that the Trinitarian Bible Society does, and I have no wish to offend anyone.

Many thanks for your encouragement. The goal of this project is to render a word-for-word translation of the Received Text into 21st century US spoken English that our seven year old son can read out to our five year old son, and have our seven year old son understand with the occasional word that stretches his vocabulary.

We have accumulated a small team of people working on an ad-hoc basis.

Please feel free to look at the drafts which are available as pdf files, and make suggestions. Here is the link -

Trinity Bible - work in progress - Windows Live SkyDrive

There is a folder called Trinity Bible- translation suggestions. If you download the word doc inside, you can use that as a template to respond with suggestions to -

[email protected]

So far, a preface has been written with a glossary of all words changed from the King James version, and the following books have been translated in draft -
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel up to chapter 19

All the Old Testament books are grouped into one pdf file called 'Trinity Bible'

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Romans
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel

Hi Friends,

I am very sorry for a misunderstanding that I caused a couple of months back, when something I wrote was taken by someone to impy that the Trinitarian Bible Society is supporting a translation project. I have never asked the Trinitarian Bible Society to back a translation project, and I have never claimed to be working on their behalf. I regret using the word 'mentoring' to describe the assistance and encouragement given occasionally and informally to this project in a purely private capacity by one of the Trinitarian Bible Society's editors. I continue to respect the fine work that the Trinitarian Bible Society does, and I have no wish to offend anyone.

Many thanks for your encouragement. The goal of this project is to render a word-for-word translation of the Received Text into 21st century US spoken English that our seven year old son can read out to our five year old son, and have our seven year old son understand with the occasional word that stretches his vocabulary.

We have accumulated a small team of people working on an ad-hoc basis.

Please feel free to look at the drafts which are available as pdf files, and make suggestions. Here is the link -

Trinity Bible - work in progress - Windows Live SkyDrive

There is a folder called Trinity Bible- translation suggestions. If you download the word doc inside, you can use that as a template to respond with suggestions to -

[email protected]

So far, a preface has been written with a glossary of all words changed from the King James version, and the following books have been translated in draft -
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel up to chapter 19

All the Old Testament books are grouped into one pdf file called 'Trinity Bible'

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Romans
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel

Is this actually a real translation, or is it simply a re-wording of the King James? (which seems to be implied by your list of "replacements" above)

Hi Friends,
Is this actually a real translation, or is it simply a re-wording of the King James? (which seems to be implied by your list of "replacements" above)

Dear Todd,

The starting premise is that the Received Text, comprising the Masoretic Hebrew Text and the Textus Receptus, is God's inerrant, infallible Word, historically and scientifically correct in all aspects, and the King James Bible is a faithful 17th century English translation of the Received Text.

This project is a word-for-word translation, that recognizes both the same source-text as the King James Bible translators worked from, and also the accuracy of the King James Bible itself. But where there is a conflict between the Received Text and the King James Bible, the aim is to translate the Received Text accurately and faithfully.

This project departs from the King James Bible where the Received Text would clearly translate differently in 2 situations -

1. the word used in translation in the King James Bible is not well understood

2. the word in the Received Text is not translated directly word-for-word in the King James Bible, but instead there is what appears to be paraphrasing by the King James Bible translators. Here, in the glossary, the original hebrew or greek word in the underlying Received Text is quoted by reference to our translation, showing together the word changed from the King James Bible.

This approach is used, for three reasons -

1. usually, it is difficult to work out where a modern translator is translating one minute word-for-word, and the next minute going off on a dynamic-equivalent paraphrasing bunny-trail

2. the King James Bible is the benchmark Bible for an accurate word-for-word translation of the Received Text

3. there needs to be recognition that many people regard the King James Bible as the only permissible English language translation of the Received Text. Those who have held stedfastly to the King James Bible have performed a mighty service to the body of Christ, even though they have come under tremendous attack, because the King James Bible, until now, has been the only Bible that does not in any way accommodate liberal textual criticism based upon the Alexandrian text. Even though there is a widely-published modern version that claims to be an update of the King James Bible, it incorporates all the liberal textual criticism attaching to the Alexandrian text, thereby undermining its own proposition - by incorporating all that textual criticism, it is making a statement to the effect that the Word of God is not reliable.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. So how can we have faith, unless we rely utterly, totally, without any shadow of doubt or compromise in our hearts, upon the literal inerrancy of God's Word?

In the above statement, we cannot say that an English translation itself is infallible - but we can aim to make a translation as accurate as it can possibly be, with exclusive reference to the Received text.

In the 1980s I witnessed, at first hand, liberal theologians strip away the faith of evangelical men who came to read Theology, pursuing a call from the Lord to the ministry. That stripping-away was no dry academic exercise - evangelical believers were systematically mocked, persecuted and some of them experienced the mental torture of a nervous breakdown. This was deliberate - the mockery was upon the inerrancy of the Word of God. Its tactics mirrored the serpent in the garden - contradicting God's Word. By the grace of God I was saved some of those agonies.

But do not be deceived - the devil hates the Word of God, and he wants to destroy the faith of Bible-believing Christians.

It is time for Christians to rise up, to declare boldly what we believe concerning God's Word, and ensure that ordinary people, even unchurched people who have perhaps never heard the word of God, can read a faithful and accurate translation of God's inerrant word in current language as spoken by the majority of people across the globe.

This project is not an update of the King James Bible, and it does not seek to obtain authority by coming under its mantle. However, the King James Bible is worthy of honor as a word-for-word translation of the Received Text into 17th century English.

In Christ Jesus,

3.13 Then Ya-shua 1 came from Galilee 2 to
Jordan 3 to John 4 to be immersed by him, 3.14 but John totally prohibited him,
saying, “I need to be immersed by you* - and you* are coming to me?”,
3.15 and Ya-shua answered him, “Now permit it, because it is necessary to fulfill
all justice and right standing”. Then he permitted him, 3.16 and when Ya-shua
was immersed, he went up immediately out of the water, and hey, the Heavens
opened to him and he saw God’s Spirit coming down like a dove and resting on
him, 3.17 and a voice from Heaven saying, “This is my beloved Son. I am well
pleased with him”.

3.1 In those days John 13 the Immerser came proclaiming in the Judaea 9
Wilderness 3.2 and he said, “Turn and change your heart and thinking, because
the Kingdom of Heaven is so close you can touch it”,

Interesting...

3.13 Then Ya-shua 1 came from Galilee 2 to
Jordan 3 to John 4 to be immersed by him, 3.14 but John totally prohibited him,
saying, “I need to be immersed by you* - and you* are coming to me?”,
3.15 and Ya-shua answered him, “Now permit it, because it is necessary to fulfill
all justice and right standing”. Then he permitted him, 3.16 and when Ya-shua
was immersed, he went up immediately out of the water, and hey, the Heavens
opened to him and he saw God’s Spirit coming down like a dove and resting on
him, 3.17 and a voice from Heaven saying, “This is my beloved Son. I am well
pleased with him”.

3.1 In those days John 13 the Immerser came proclaiming in the Judaea 9
Wilderness 3.2 and he said, “Turn and change your heart and thinking, because
the Kingdom of Heaven is so close you can touch it”,

Interesting...

I'll say. Even this thread is going to degenerate into a paedo/credo debate!

Nigel, surely you can't expect paedobaptists or anyone else with a modicum of knowledge to participate in this if you are going to leave these passages the way they are above. No doubt this is the result of someone imbibing the old Baptist line that the KJV translators refused to translate baptizo because it would demonstrate that the Church of England's practice was unbiblical. However, the KJV translators (or was it Tyndale originally?) rightly transliterated baptizo. I refer you to Jay E. Adams Meaning and Mode of Baptism, Rowland Ward's Baptism in Scripture and History, Chaney's William the Baptist etc. on the meaning of this Greek term.

In a recent issue of the Quarterly Record, the writer wrote that although the TBS receives many requests to work on an updated version of the AV in their opinion no update is necessary.

This project is not an update of the King James Bible, and it does not seek to obtain authority by coming under its mantle. However, the King James Bible is worthy of honor as a word-for-word translation of the Received Text into 17th century English.

So let me get the method correct. Are you going back from scratch from the Received Text in the Hebrew and Greek, and constructing a new translation? Or, are you taking the King James translation and exchanging words and wording for updated 21st century English? Which is it?

Nigel,

It would be a shame for the Project to run aground by interpreting rather than merely transliterating baptizo! Paedos and Credos both could rally around the latter method. They could argue the merits of their cases. But you short-circuit the debate with an unequal balance, and lose half the church.

John 1.25 and they asked him, “Then why do you* immerse if you* are not Anointed, or Elijah, or that prophet?”​

One of the things that made the NIV notorious was its interpretation resulting in "the sinful nature" rather than "the flesh".

Why omit the definite article before "Anointed"? Tyndale omitted it, but when he translated "Christ" it made sense. (And Tyndale did transliterate baptizo.)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back