Trinitarian Bible Society - New KJV Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Most of you probably know about this already, but I've noticed a new (or newish) edition of the KJV at the website of the venerable Trinitarian Bible Society. It has:

1. The KJV text in a modern font (Windsor)
2. "The Epistle Dedicatory"
3. "The Translators to the Reader"
4. A glossary of archaic words
5. A Bible reading plan
6. The 1650 Metrical Psalms
7. Two ribbon markers
8. Bound in Calfskin leather

and:

9. Only $32 for all this (with shipping, $40)

Now, that's a deal.

I especially like the idea of the document "The Translators to the Reader" being included, since (1) it usually is not found in editions of the KJV and (2) it's contents will let a lot of the air out of the KJV Only movement (the translators [I paraphrase]: "No, as a matter of fact, we didn't set out to create a Bible translation from scratch.")

I'm thinking of getting one - and I'm a committed ESV guy!

Anyone have one? Any thoughts?

A question: how big is it?

I'd get one, but it doesn't have a center-column cross reference. If that's ever included I'll be sure to get one.

I wish the Trinitarian Bible Society printed a Bible like the one you described with the Psalter from the Book of Common Prayer instead of the 1650 Metrical Psalms. I may get one for personal use but it would not be an aide in corporate worship.
As an aside the Trinitarian Bible Society's Nepali language New Testament is a blessing to friends in Burma and Thailand who are ethnically Nepalese.

I love the TBS Bibles. I recently bought one for my wife. It is nice using it for reading and singing even in our family worship. Having the Epistle Dedicatory and the Translators to the Readers is a nice touch that is hard to find in other AV editions these days. They are well produced. Unfortunately some of the leather ones with the Psalter are a bit too small for me to use when preaching.

Their sales site
isn't the best. I can't link to the page with these particular Bibles on it. You'll need to look under "Standard Text Bibles" and then the Windsor line.

I like the idea, but since they dont' have the reference system, I'm not so tempted.

Gotta love TBS! Oddly Mark Bertrand and I (the ultimate Bible snobs :lol: both love the TBS NT Paragraph Edition in the red vinyl cover. :cool:

I have the 25UT Calfskin Black Windsor, as good as any Cambridge I have bought in the last few years

I recently got one of these actually :D

though it's hardback instead of calfskin or whatever. but it has all the same contents you describe.

I really love the "windsor" text layout, but wish it had the "concord" features.Maybe some day.

Thanks! Just ordered one. A good price for a solid bible, which comes in handy during these times. Review can be found here.

Gotta love TBS! Oddly Mark Bertrand and I (the ultimate Bible snobs :lol: both love the TBS NT Paragraph Edition in the red vinyl cover. :cool:

I got a chance to visit Mark Bertrand studio in Sioux Falls, South Dakota last year. I check out all his Bible collection and guess what we spent the time talking about: Bibles, Binding and Designs. I concluded that the Italians, know for their fashion designs, need to get into the Bible business since Tyndale, Crossway, Zondervan, Lockman, Cambridge, Oxford, etc have done a terrible job publishing Bibles.

Hopefully, Mark will continue changing how Bible's are being made.

What do you think of the Zippered option?

Dumb question: What are the metric psalms? Are they the Psalms re-written for singing?

What do you think of the Zippered option?

Dumb question: What are the metric psalms? Are they the Psalms re-written for singing?

No, that is a good question.

The Psalms of David in Metre is the 1650 Scottish Metrical Psalter that the TBS includes in some editions that they publish. It is a special translation of the biblical Psalter for the purpose of singing the Psalms.

Every Psalm except the 136th is in common meter or if there are two versions of it, one of them is in common meter. You can sing these Psalms to common meter tunes such as "Amazing Grace", "Azmon" (O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing), St. Anne ("O God Our Help in Ages Past") - or any tune listed in the back of a hymnals "Metrical Index of Tunes" under the classification C.M. or C.M.D., although some tunes will seem more appropriate per passage than others.

Search the Internet. There are a lot of resources on this work. One of them is my blog, Precentor in Charlotte.

What peer pressure! You guys made it sound like the best thing since chocolate, so I ordered one too. And . . . I'm not a KJV guy!

Oh, oh, I think I hear that nice man selling widgets door-to-door. I don't even need widgets, but it sounds like such a good deal. They are in Luxury Calfskin leather. Supplied in presentation box. Quality sewn binding with high end paper and decorative head & tail bands. Semi-yapp page protection and gilt page edges. Two marker ribbons. Wow! That will be one of my nicest widgets yet!

My Luxury Calfskin leather Windsor Bible in presentation box arrived today. Wow! The sewn binding with high end paper and decorative head & tail bands and semi-yapp page protection and gilt page edges with two marker ribbons is pretty amazing for $32!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back