Translations of the Apostolic Fathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I've been reading some on the Apostolic Fathers, and was looking for a recommendation on a good, reliable modern translation. I have seen two for sale -

1) The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations by Michael Holmes
2) The Apostolic Fathers (Moody Classics)

I know Moody would generally tend away from modern liberal revisionism, but I like the Holmes edition because it has a nice hardbound version (and it has the original languages, which I may have use for someday). I'd like recommendations on these, or others if you have them. I have JB Lightfoot's translations on my Kindle.

I recommend the Holmes edition. It's very well done. The other critical edition is in the Loeb Classical Library. The older is was done by Kirsopp Lake. The modern version is by Bart Ehrman. You can get an English only version in vol 1 of the Ante-Nicene Fathers series, done by A Cleveland Coxe, the text of which is available online (e.g., CCEL). I don't know the Moody volume but the versions I've mentioned are good translations.

I've read the Penguin version and it is indeed readable. I doesn't seem to have a particular anti-supernatural or modernist bias but I'm much of an authority.

I do have the Penguin version, which is readable (though British - they translate "presbyters" as "clergy"), but also flimsy. One reason I'm leaning toward the Holmes edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back