Transitions Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandma does and she doesn't care for them. She says they don't get dark enough. She still has to wear sunglasses.

I use them and they are great until you go back inside and it takes 5 or so minutes for them to get back to normal.

I don't even really notice as they "transition" from inside to out. They just keep the light comfortable. Not very dark, but dark enough to help with driving, etc. I did notice that it takes a couple minutes for them to get back to normal when you go inside, but it's pretty smooth. I just hope they don't give me headaches over time. I've had issues with that with prescription sunglasses and clip ons in the past.

They don't darken in the car while driving, and if they darken a lot outside in cold winter weather they'll take a long time once inside to lighten up. Run them gently under warm water. :D I used to have them.

After years of playing the two-sets-of-glasses game (regular inside, prescription sunglasses out), last week I got new glasses with the transition lenses. Michael, like you I hardly notice the "transition" from outside to in. As far as Norm's comment about driving, they told me that the UV protection offered by today's windshields cause the transition lenses not to darken. They gave me a pair of magnetic clip-on specially made for my glasses to account for such times. Overall, one week in, I could not be happier.

Anna was sort of surprised when she got her first pair at a Wal-Mart (actually, the one in Cumming, so not so far from you, Michael!) a few years ago. They quoted her a price when she bought them, and since it seemed reasonable, she decided to get them. When it came time to pay, the price was greater than what she expected, so she asked. The quoted price, come to find out, was per lens. :rolleyes:

Anna was sort of surprised when she got her first pair at a Wal-Mart (actually, the one in Cumming, so not so far from you, Michael!) a few years ago. They quoted her a price when she bought them, and since it seemed reasonable, she decided to get them. When it came time to pay, the price was greater than what she expected, so she asked. The quoted price, come to find out, was per lens. :rolleyes:
Yikes! Ours were on special at Doctor's Visionworks at the Mall of Ga. We actually got a pretty good deal--and needed it too since Angela and I hadn't had eye exams in over 2yrs. Our total together was around what she spent on hers alone last time.

But I do love them and can't imagine going back to regular lenses. The cold affects them more than I thought it would, but I don't notice the transition inside. Just be aware if someone's going to take a photo just after you arrive somewhere! :)

transitions150.jpg

[artist rendition]

:lol:

I heard someone say that they're making something similar with contacts now. I just got contacts about 2 weeks ago, partly because I was sick of not being able to wear sunglasses, not having a pair of prescription sunglasses. The contacts are pretty cool, but somehow I feel that my vision was better with glasses.

It's probably the same technology that I helped develop back in the mid 80's at PPG. The UV in the sun causes an organic bond to break and thus absorb light differently. Back then we were using spirooxazines. The reason they don't work when your driving is that windshields have uv barriers in them.

The transition is usually uv related, so things like temperature and uv blocking mechanisms will effect the way the bond breaks thusly effecting the darkness of the lenses.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for sun contact lenses. I just spoke to my doctor about multi (read bi-) focal contact lenses.

never had the transition glasses, but speaking as one who wore glasses for about 18 of my 29 years on earth, the greatest investment I have ever made was Lasik surgery. If you can save up the money, do it. You will not be disappointed.

never had the transition glasses, but speaking as one who wore glasses for about 18 of my 29 years on earth, the greatest investment I have ever made was Lasik surgery. If you can save up the money, do it. You will not be disappointed.
A big ditto from me Andrew. I've worn glasses since I was 7. By the time I was 22 I was so nearsighted I was almost legally blind. I had Lasik (actually two operations, 3mo apart) and it corrected my vision to better than 20/20! For a while I was living in a Blue Ray world. :) But my eyes began to deteriorate again over the years. It took about 6 years before I needed glasses again. Now I'm at a -1.75 prescription, which isn't that bad but will certainly get worse as I age. I can't have any more Lasik--they've already sliced as much as they can.

Angela's eyes are pretty bad too and slipping more each year. We need to get her Lasik at some point. Trying to hold out though...not just for money reasons. At this rate, we're both going to be pretty blind in our old age. I'd like for one of us to be able to see! So if she can have her vision corrected, maybe in her 40's, we'll have a decent shot! :lol:

My wife loves hers, but I have held off so far just because of the driving thing.But I think I 'll go ahead with them next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back