Tough Moment With Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Sometimes knowing God can be difficult for children. This evening we were reading in Matthew 4 where Jesus healed all the sick people. I then pointed out to my son that God was the one who just healed him too, and it's always good to ask God to heal us. And then he so rationally said "Jesus isn't here with us, daddy." I then tried to explain the theology of who God is, but I felt like it just didn't make sense to him. Like that was out of his comprehension, but his reasoning skill was accurate in one sense. I want him to know God in a deeper way, but at this time I know that he cannot yet understand.

Last edited:
Brother, we're in way over our heads. But God will do the work as you continue to teach your children in a faithful way.

How often do we say or do something that we would not if someone from church were in the room listening? What if Jesus was sitting in the room listening? Oh wait, He is.

One of the best ways to teach our young children is by living the doctrines we affirm. All too often we act like "Jesus isn't here."

My five-year-old was mean to two of her sisters today. After she calmed down in "time out" she was remorseful and told them she was sorry. I explained that she also needed to ask God for forgiveness. We prayed together asking God for forgiveness. I reassured her that God always forgives.

I believe that the more we live like God is present, the easier it will be for our young children to believe these truths.

And then he so rationally said "Jesus isn't here with us, daddy." I then tried to explain the theology of who God is, but I felt like it just didn't make sense to him.
Perhaps an analogy, albeit imperfect, would suffice.

You son goes about his day outside the physical presence of his parents, yet I suspect he knows they are not far from him in his mind. I suspect when he is led to contemplate this truth, he is comforted by it. Similarly so, but perfectly so, is Our Lord.

It's always good to hear of a father showing concern for his child's spiritual growth and understanding.

I tell my son that even though we cannot see God, he is with us. You can say, too, that sometimes these things can be hard to understand.

As a help, teach him stories from the Bible. David and Elijah trusted in the Lord, and we can follow their examples. Use these stories to point your child to Christ. And, of course, remind him that the Lord himself says he's with us, and whatever he says is true.

Your son will trust his parents. Continue to teach him biblical truths and live in a manner consistent with them.

Sometimes knowing God can be difficult for children. This evening we were reading in Matthew 4 where Jesus healed all the sick people. I then pointed out to my son that God was the one who just healed him too, and it's always good to ask God to heal us. And then he so rationally said "Jesus isn't here with us, daddy." I then tried to explain the theology of who God is, but I felt like it just didn't make sense to him. Like that was out of his comprehension, but his reasoning skill was accurate in one sense. I want him to know God in a deeper way, but at this time I know that he cannot yet understand.
Ryan, do you guys use catechism questions?
I have found the kids catechisms from GCP really help my little ones nail down some basic truths that would even address your kids questions.

In no specific order, but ones that come to mind:

1. What is God?
God is a spirit in does not have a body like a man.

2. Where is God? God is everywhere.

3. Can you see God? No I cannot see God but he always sees me.

4. In how many persons does this one God exist? In three persons.

5. Name these three persons?
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Just a few that help nail down some fundamentals. Catechize, Catechize, And then Catechize.

Ryan, do you guys use catechism questions?
I have found the kids catechisms from GCP really help my little ones nail down some basic truths that would even address your kids questions.

In no specific order, but ones that come to mind:

1. What is God?
God is a spirit in does not have a body like a man.

2. Where is God? God is everywhere.

3. Can you see God? No I cannot see God but he always sees me.

4. In how many persons does this one God exist? In three persons.

5. Name these three persons?
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Just a few that help nail down some fundamentals. Catechize, Catechize, And then Catechize.
Brother in the Lord, this is awesome advice! We actually use the same catechism on a regular basis. He has those answers memorized, it just doesn't seem like he really gets it yet, though.

Right Ryan, the early catechisms are simply to get the words memorized so that as children progress in their ability to reason and understand, they have the raw material at hand to draw on. How old is your son? Children progress at different rates in their ability to think and comprehend more abstractly. You’re probably like me with my 8-year-old grandson, really wanting him to go ahead and grasp some comforting and glorious truths!

Right Ryan, the early catechisms are simply to get the words memorized so that as children progress in their ability to reason and understand, they have the raw material at hand to draw on. How old is your son? Children progress at different rates in their ability to think and comprehend more abstractly. You’re probably like me with my 8-year-old grandson, really wanting him to go ahead and grasp some comforting and glorious truths!
Thank you! Our boy is actually about to turn 3.

Thank you! Our boy is actually about to turn 3.
At 3.... just be patient and consistent with the catechisms and Pray:2cents:.

My 4 year old knows 1-48 and it is amazing to see how in the past couple of months she is able to already explain doctrines in a simple manner.

P.S. If you still worry, and especially if your kid is just 2, remind yourself of the Lord’s promises regarding your children!:detective: In the words of Nacho Libre “ take it easy”.... he is only 2!

Last edited:
Your boy is too young to understand the particular concept that according to his divine nature Jesus is with us everywhere, while according to his human nature he is away from us in heaven. So do not be too frustrated. Keep explaining the best you can, and in time your boy will be a very sharp kid.

@Ryan&Amber2013

Ryan:

How is Jesus ever with us, anyway? Father and Son come and make their dwelling with us in and by the power of the Holy Spirit (John 14:23).

You can tell your boy that we don't see the Spirit (John 3-4), but we experience the effects of His presence, especially in the means of grace (Matthew 28:18-20).

How is Jesus with us always? In and by the power of the Holy Spirit, especially in those means of grace cited in the Great Commission. So you can say that when the gospel is preached in church, prayer is offered, the sacraments administered, Jesus is particularly powerfully with us.

He is with us in prayer, which we are to do without ceasing, which is an attitude of openness to and dependence upon God.

Thus in spiritual communion, in our hearts, Jesus is always with us. And since it is by the power of the Spirit, we can't see Him, but we can know as an act of faith that He is with us always, even to the end of the age. Jesus (and the Father) is always with us by the Spirit of Christ.

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back