Totalitarianism quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
We are in the grip of a soft totalitarianism which is no less deadly for being soft. Instead of threatening people with prison for having the wrong opinions, it threatens them with unemployment.
If we actually had labour camps and midnight arrests, and state censors sitting in newspaper offices and TV studios, people might notice what was going on. As it is, they just wonder why everything gets worse and worse and nobody does anything about it.

-Peter Hitchens

Disagree with the main climate change narrative and you should go to jail if you're a government official.

Gregory of Nazianzus pointed to something similar in the days of Julian the Apostate. The apostate Emperor never openly attacked Christianity, but he marginalized it. An open attack would rally the church's energies.

It does not help when our seminaries and pulpits are full of totalitarians. I did not know I was a racist misogynist homophobic bully by dint of my DNA until I took a sabbatical and another student ... almost said fellow student but don't want to misgender ... at Princeton Seminary informed me my status. That person completed their ordination process and is serving a presbytery somewhere. A wise man once said, an empty closet cries out to be filled.

It does not help when our seminaries and pulpits are full of totalitarians. I did not know I was a racist misogynist homophobic bully by dint of my DNA until I took a sabbatical and another student ... almost said fellow student but don't want to misgender ... at Princeton Seminary informed me my status. That person completed their ordination process and is serving a presbytery somewhere. A wise man once said, an empty closet cries out to be filled.

So many microagressions in one paragraph!

So many microagressions in one paragraph!

Yes, the student (now Pastor) explained that I was microagressing for all of the above, plus my 6'4" 225# stature, ball cap, Carhartt jacket, and Navy MultiCam ball cap with the Naval Ensign on front and "In God We Trust" on the back. I offered to stand still to give them a head start to the safe space, which at Princeton Seminary is below the Student Union, across from the Chapel where BB Warfield preached ...

I got a lot of time for Hitchens, but of late he has been somewhat muted. The reason being perhaps that he was once the medias favourite for lambasting, and the BBC's favourite for controversy on their debating programmes. But I have the notion that he has been sidelined because of his attacks on the establishment. Though not of the Reformed camp he has rediscovered his Christian beliefs and is highly principled. Another of the same ilk is Melanie Phillips the collumnist and debater, allthough of the Jewish religion, she always supports Christian principle and our Christian heritage. Opposing views to the agenda are not visited with prison or such, but with character ridicule, as is now happening with Jacob Rees Mogg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back