Top 5 Theologians of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boliver, Calvin actually quoted other people quite a lot. Citation methods weren't standardized, so it's not always as easy to pick out a quote.

Of course, it is true that there has been a decline of authority in teaching, and that can lead to the citation of others on every point. And writing assignments probably have something to do with the anemia of a lot of contemporary writing, where it seems to have no iron and no salt.

But it is pointless to criticize anyone for not being Calvin. Calvin was a genius, as were a few other theologians in the history of the church.

I would not criticize anyone for not matching Calvin's genius. That would be silly. I just feel that modern academia does not cultivate the necessary mental capacity to even attempt to progress modern theological thought. Just look on the PB. If Calvin did not say what someone hear thinks or believes, we have a tendency to discard it. It is all about following someone else's thought process vs. thinking for one's self.

Hmm. There is a lot of sheeple mentality, there's no doubt about that, and a villainous fear of experts. But there is also a lot of despite for others, and willingness to maintain one's own lunacy against the whole world (or worse, against the whole church). Some of the theological problems that have been faced have come from theologians who thought they could advance the theological enterprise. If we had a theological genius today, perhaps he could make some notable gains. But perhaps also he would not gain a hearing -from some because he didn't sound like their favorite theologian: from others, because he sounded too much like someone who's died (or hasn't published anything in 2 years),

Top 5 in No Order:
Turretin
Owen
Bavinck
Calvin
Bullinger

Honourable Mention:
Edwards
Warfield
Augustine
Pink (??)
a Brakel
Witsius
Wright (haha)

Charles Ryrie
C.I. Scofield
Louis Sperry Chafer
Norman Geisler
Dave Hunt

*ducks behind Ivan*

Perhaps the question should be, "Who are the 5 greatest systematic theologians of all time?" That seems to be the main thrust of everyone's answers.

Would it be helpful to also list the 5 greatest ''biblical' theologians and 'pastoral' theologians? I would be interested in what people have to say. (Should I start another thread?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back