tolle lege Geneva Bible Rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jessica said: "I just bought 1599 Geneva Family Bible (Genuine Burgundy Leather) - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!$69.99 (so $35 each)
I am going to give one to my in-laws for mother's/father's day or something, and one is "for my husband."
Here's the link. This isn't the Calvin anniversary edition, but they have that, too."

Jessica, how is the quality of that leather? That sounds like a great deal. I'm not sure if I want the family edition or the regular edition, though.

OK, well, the leather seems nice enough(?) BUT it is sort of a hardback book with leather covering the hard backed-ness. I'm not sure if that is clear or if that is normal for "family Bibles," since they're a bit bigger. The cover is completely un-bendable, if that makes any more sense.
And the inside of the cover is covered in a burnt orange wallpaper/table cloth-like material. The pages DO have gold edges.

The front of the Bible is embossed (right word? engraved?) with gold lettering and it is very pretty. Remember, though, that mine came as "America's Four Hundreth Anniversary Edition" and that is printed on the front. I feel a little silly giving it as a gift, since it is now America's 402nd birthday. But my husband said he thinks his parents will still like it, and it does seem to have a purpose, as the intro does speak of America, instead of looking like I bought last year's dated Christmas decorations on clearance.

I took some pictures of it, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Shalom, jessi

I have already been thinking of getting one for myself... Does anybode know if there are more or less compact or personal size editions? I love small Bibles.

Jessica said: "I just bought 1599 Geneva Family Bible (Genuine Burgundy Leather) - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!$69.99 (so $35 each)
I am going to give one to my in-laws for mother's/father's day or something, and one is "for my husband."
Here's the link. This isn't the Calvin anniversary edition, but they have that, too."

Jessica, how is the quality of that leather? That sounds like a great deal. I'm not sure if I want the family edition or the regular edition, though.

OK, well, the leather seems nice enough(?) BUT it is sort of a hardback book with leather covering the hard backed-ness. I'm not sure if that is clear or if that is normal for "family Bibles," since they're a bit bigger. The cover is completely un-bendable, if that makes any more sense.
And the inside of the cover is covered in a burnt orange wallpaper/table cloth-like material. The pages DO have gold edges.

The front of the Bible is embossed (right word? engraved?) with gold lettering and it is very pretty. Remember, though, that mine came as "America's Four Hundreth Anniversary Edition" and that is printed on the front. I feel a little silly giving it as a gift, since it is now America's 402nd birthday. But my husband said he thinks his parents will still like it, and it does seem to have a purpose, as the intro does speak of America, instead of looking like I bought last year's dated Christmas decorations on clearance.

I took some pictures of it, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Shalom, jessi

Thanks, Jessi!! This is a big help!

Just a thought...

I'm a huge fan of printed books, and the folks at Tolle Lege are providing a real service by re-publishing the GB. Having said that, one can go to e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge and download the Geneva, KJV, RV, ESV, etc. Bibles coupled with the Geneva Bible notes entirely free.

...And if you're willing to spend a little, you can even purchase The Message to go with the Reformer's notes instead! (Just kidding!)
:duh:

Just know that the e-Sword Geneva edition contains places where Baptist editors expurgated notes that went against their "grain" (if you catch my drift...). But they don't tell you in that E-dition.

A hardcover facsimile, from the 1980s or so, is the Baptist re-edited edition, from which the e-Sword version comes, near as I can tell. But at least in the print version it is clear/apparent when they did so (for example 1Cor.7:14). The 1599 reprint/refont edition (TolleLege) is not edited.

Does anyone know if, say, on TolleLege website they have an "errata" page for their first few print runs? They retained numerous "original" errors on purpose; I have no problem with that. They were clear on their intention to "reproduce" the original, even with errors.

However they also introduced several new printers gaffes in the printing that I own. Perhaps someone can post that link in this thread.

Just know that the e-Sword Geneva edition contains places where Baptist editors expurgated notes that went against their "grain" (if you catch my drift...). But they don't tell you in that E-dition.

I don't know where the button is to "thank you for this post", but thanks indeed! I am shocked and disappointed that they would do such a thing.

:welcome: From Massachusetts

Hi David The Thank you button will appear after your 15th post,It's nice to be here on the board with you

Blessings to you

But at least in the print version it is clear/apparent when they did so (for example 1Cor.7:14). The 1599 reprint/refont edition (TolleLege) is not edited.

Contra Mundum,

I like the screen name by the way, I'm a big Athanasius fan. The more I have thought about it, the more this editing issue troubles me. :think: Regarding the changes you mentioned, were these ones you had come across yourself, or is there a source somewhere that has collated all the theological redactions? Thanks!

DG

-----Added 2/7/2009 at 03:57:05 EST-----

Oh, and Grymir, thanks for the errata list. Very nice. DG

Last edited:
I have bought 2 1599 Geneva bibles now and given one to a reformed family in my area. I plan on getting several more with our income tax return so every one in my house will have one!

Here is my 1599 Geneva bible facebook group! 1599 Geneva Bible | Facebook

Binding Problems

Hey.. I have a question that seems to be appropriate on this thread.

Has any one had any Binding Problems with their Tolle Lege Press 1599 Geneva Bibles?

Yes. Before I start let me state that I love the work that Tolle Lege has done, but their binding stinks. The first copy that I had: The inner leaf began to become unglued after about three months of use. I called them. The replaced it for not charge. The same thing happened with the replacement. I called again. They replaced it. The Bible I was sent was so off center in the leather that the front edge of the paper is even with the edge of the leather and the rear of the paper has about a 1/2 inch extension. I called them and they are sending another replacement. If this one has issues I will probably just send it to Nortons and have it bound properly.

Yes. Before I start let me state that I love the work that Tolle Lege has done, but their binding stinks. The first copy that I had: The inner leaf began to become unglued after about three months of use. I called them. The replaced it for not charge. The same thing happened with the replacement. I called again. They replaced it. The Bible I was sent was so off center in the leather that the front edge of the paper is even with the edge of the leather and the rear of the paper has about a 1/2 inch extension. I called them and they are sending another replacement. If this one has issues I will probably just send it to Nortons and have it bound properly.

Which part of the book is the "inner leaf"?

It is the part of the binding that is glued to the inside of the exterior binding. I think it is also called the 'paste down'.

It is the part of the binding that is glued to the inside of the exterior binding. I think it is also called the 'paste down'.

Mine was dropped and that part you are talking about came unglued pretty quick.. I was thinking about getting it professionally bound some where locally. With some soft expensive leather! Make it look vintage style.

The spine on mine has a crease in it and wore off the gold leafing also

I thought I would try the Geneva, seeing it was from the same text group as the KJV.

Consider, I have read the KJV all my life (though only 8 times cover-to-cover).
My last KJV was the Defender's Study Bible: Amazon.com: KJV - Defender's Study Bible by Dr. Henry Morris, Ph.D.: Thomas Nelson: Books
Its notes were, with a few exceptions, helpful.

I was very disappointed with the Tolle Legge 1599 Geneva.
The notes were often juvenile (elementary).
The prose is similar but different enough from the KJV to be a slight hinderance.

I will go back to the KJV after I have finished reading the Geneva through.
(I hope it gets better!)

Baptists tend to be helpful folks. :lol:

Hi y'all. I too had the binding/inner leaf problem. But I just applied some glue and I'm good to go! I got mine as a gift from my wife, and I wasn't about to return it.

-----Added 2/10/2009 at 12:50:06 EST-----

I love the Geneva. It's a piece of history.

I wonder if the book block is sewn as opposed to glued? If sewn, it would be a great candidate for rebinding.

For everything you ever wanted to know about rebinding a Bible, do to the Bible Design Blog:

Bible Design and Binding

(Beware: the site may cause you to covet fine quality Bibles!)

Yes, the book block is sewn. That is why mine is now off to be rebound. I'm done with the cheap binding. There are a few interior issues such as page alignment, but I'm fine with that.

From looking at the version on e-Sword years ago, I thought the Geneva wasn't hard to follow once you figured out the spelling. It's in a more direct style than the KJV, which is more Latinate and maybe more literary. My understanding is that the Geneva was more like Tyndale's version in that regard.

From looking at the version on e-Sword years ago, I thought the Geneva wasn't hard to follow once you figured out the spelling. It's in a more direct style than the KJV, which is more Latinate and maybe more literary. My understanding is that the Geneva was more like Tyndale's version in that regard.

Oh yes, you are right. As a real KJV lover, I find your analysis right on the money. I have the Tolle Lege bible and use it as a second bible to consult. It is written in a more 'down to earth' in the language of the day. It's a great link in the history of KJV, and it's not just a literary masterpiece, but a work of art. It's influence in the KJV translation is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back