tolle lege Geneva Bible Rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VilnaGaon

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have been using the Geneva Bible published by Tolle Lege Press for more than a year now. In my humble opinion the Geneva bible is the best study bible for those who love God's Truth. Reading the Prophets used to be a chore for me. I didn't understand the context and the meanings without constantly referring to commentaries. I tried the Artscroll Tanakh which is a Jewish Study Bible and while it is good on the historical context of the Prophets, I was missing out on the Christological meanings and types which are in almost every chapter of the Prophets. The Geneva Bible solved all that!!!! Studying the Prophets has become a joy and a real pleasure. :book2:

We use the facsimile as our family bible:

The Complete 1599 Geneva Bible

Scroll down to see the "Geneva Bible with Rembrandt leather cover"

We read through the whole bible as a family using it, and also use it as a family register. We thoroughly enjoyed it! The only book that we skipped notes on was Revelation as it was getting way too tedious.

Cheers,

Adam

I wanted to get one of the facsimiles until I downloaded a PDF of one page. I found it historically beautiful, but difficult on my eyes. There is an on-line version I have read occasionally. Is there is a modern printed version with all of the original notes & text available or in progress?

I wanted to get one of the facsimiles until I downloaded a PDF of one page. I found it historically beautiful, but difficult on my eyes. There is an on-line version I have read occasionally. Is there is a modern printed version with all of the original notes & text available or in progress?

Rich,

The Tolle Lege is an updated version; I have the facs version. Tolle Lege is in modern font, and is (in that way) like any other Bible.

Cheers,

Adam

I first got a Reformation Study Bible (formerly the Geneva Study Bible) edited by R.C. Sproul. Then I was coveting a the 1599 Geneva Bible so I purchased one. Guess what? I totally stopped reading the Reformation Study Bible and now I always use the 1599 Geneva in church. I like the English better than the KJV, since it is generally more readable. I also find certain passages to be better translatted.

Rich,

The Tolle Lege is an updated version; I have the facs version. Tolle Lege is in modern font, and is (in that way) like any other Bible.

Cheers,

Adam

The Tolle lege version has all the original notes and text in modern spelling but it omits(???) the brief introductions to the OT books, the maps and charts in the facsimile and the cross-references to the apocryphal books. But the tolle lege edition is in larger print and easy on the eyes especially if you get the Geneva Family edition. My advice to all is Buy it while it is still in print.

the Tolle Lege Geneva Bible is certainly a treasure. Though I have recently fallen in love with the ESV my Geneva still holds center display on my bookcase. Another great tool for using the Geneva and its notes is accessing them through e-Sword. Both parts are available form the e-sword website I think.

I first got a Reformation Study Bible (formerly the Geneva Study Bible) edited by R.C. Sproul. Then I was coveting a the 1599 Geneva Bible so I purchased one. Guess what? I totally stopped reading the Reformation Study Bible and now I always use the 1599 Geneva in church. I like the English better than the KJV, since it is generally more readable. I also find certain passages to be better translatted.

I also find the Geneva more readable than the KJV. I find the language more direct.

We currently own 11 copies of the revised 1599. Beat that. :smug:

What for . . . paperweights? Why do you need multiple copies of the same book??? Oh, never mind. I forgot that you had something like 101 children!

I have the Tolle Lege Calvin Legacy edition and think it is GREAT! BTW, most of the arguments for the KJV work just as well for the Geneva.

I have been using the Geneva Bible published by Tolle Lege Press for more than a year now. In my humble opinion the Geneva bible is the best study bible for those who love God's Truth. Reading the Prophets used to be a chore for me. I didn't understand the context and the meanings without constantly referring to commentaries. I tried the Artscroll Tanakh which is a Jewish Study Bible and while it is good on the historical context of the Prophets, I was missing out on the Christological meanings and types which are in almost every chapter of the Prophets. The Geneva Bible solved all that!!!! Studying the Prophets has become a joy and a real pleasure. :book2:

There are probably some online free versions of it for the PC.

I know that for the Macintosh MacSword program has it available. If there's a Mac version, surely there is also a free PC version out there also.

1,000,000,000,000% :amen: :judge:

-----Added 1/7/2009 at 06:20:51 EST-----

Best Thread Ever!!!

I just bought 1599 Geneva Family Bible (Genuine Burgundy Leather) - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!$69.99 (so $35 each)
I am going to give one to my in-laws for mother's/father's day or something, and one is "for my husband."
Here's the link. This isn't the Calvin anniversary edition, but they have that, too.

-----Added 1/7/2009 at 09:35:05 EST-----

Rich,

Cheers,

Adam

The Tolle lege version has all the original notes and text in modern spelling but it omits(???) the brief introductions to the OT books, the maps and charts in the facsimile and the cross-references to the apocryphal books. But the tolle lege edition is in larger print and easy on the eyes especially if you get the Geneva Family edition. My advice to all is Buy it while it is still in print.

SOLD.
You should be in marketing.

-----Added 1/18/2009 at 07:59:56 EST-----

I received my copy sometime last week and I LOVE it. Already.
It's huge, because it's a family Bible, so it's not for bedside reading or pew reading, but it's great for after dinner reading at the kitchen table with the family.
Mine is (unbeknownst to me when ordering it, but that's OK) a 400th Anniversary of America edition, and one of the introductions has a nice bit of info on the Geneva Bible's influence on the Jamestown and Plymouth colonies. The introductions in general are very informative about life before the Geneva Bible, and the subsequent need for the Geneva Bible, where it was actually illegal for citizens in England to read/print/have an English Bible! I guess this law carried over to America when we were still under British rule.
The intro makes a case for America's well-being, justice, and liberty, being a direct response to the mass availability of Bibles for individuals and families. I had never thought that America was one of the first places where the Bible was available in the vulgar language, and of course the impact of that!

I just bought 1599 Geneva Family Bible (Genuine Burgundy Leather) - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!$69.99 (so $35 each)
I am going to give one to my in-laws for mother's/father's day or something, and one is "for my husband."
Here's the link. This isn't the Calvin anniversary edition, but they have that, too.

Shipping to the UK is a stomach churning $140.

Just got mine.

My church family Got me one to help with my studies. They all went in on it and signed it including my pastor which made it extra special.

Love it!

Joshua

Shipping to the UK is a stomach churning $140.

What about if you spend over $100? It was free shipping here, that way.
Is it always that expensive to ship to the UK? Could you send it to someone to send it to you for less?

The free shipping offer is restricted to the USA.

Shipping to the UK usually costs around 30%, now that the $ has strengthend I do not buy much from the USA.

I got mine in the mail 3 days ago. Shofar shogood. I also like the digital version. I put it on my Mac. Makes looking things up quite easy through the pdf search function.

:pilgrim:Right on!

This Bible is precious! I have both the Toll Lege genuine leather black and the L.L Brown facs Hardcover,both are practical and priceless.I love the KJV,yet i also found the 1599 Geneva to be a better translation for me personally

Boy that L.L Brown leather edition does look beautiful though! alot of money though even though it is magnificent our budget wont allow it:um:

For me there is also a regional/sentimental place in my heart for me as we live near Plymouth Mass. where the Pilgrims landed and all the powerful history of God using it in the establishment of this area and our country,very sweet dreams and wondering as I read it what the Pilgrims were experiencing,

I cant recommend the Toll Lege edition heartily enough esp if you are a KJV/ESV guy like me it's a real nice fit for me (The ESV Study Bible is astonishingly wonderful too!:banana:)

It's nice to be here and hear other folks that feel the same as me,I love you guys!

Grace and Peace to you

We currently own 11 copies of the revised 1599. Beat that.

What for . . . paperweights? Why do you need multiple copies of the same book??? Oh, never mind. I forgot that you had something like 101 children!

107 for those who are counting; I expected you to know that, brother! We plan to raffle them off and the lucky 11 will get them. The runner-ups all get a bowl of oatmeal.

Jessica said: "I just bought 1599 Geneva Family Bible (Genuine Burgundy Leather) - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!$69.99 (so $35 each)
Here's the link. This isn't the Calvin anniversary edition, but they have that, too."

Jessica, how is the quality of that leather? That sounds like a great deal. I'm not sure if I want the family edition or the regular edition, though.

I have seen one of the TL Geneva Bible...it is very nice. Is there a reason why the TL Geneva does not have Gold edges? It seems like it should based on the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back