Today's Christian authors and Christian Bookstores

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Today\'s Christian authors and Christian Bookstores

Man, what a waste of time it is browsing Christian book stores anymore. Back when I was a pretrib, Arminian I could spend hundreds of dollars in a book store (if I had it).

Now, I am lucky to find 2-3 books a month!

What I am wondering is, are there any "famous" pastor/authors who are worth reading? Specifically I wonder where "Max Lucado" stands theology wise? I have read his stuff in the past but I can't recall where he stands and I wouldn't have noticed back then anyways.

Are there any well known authors today's Christian book store would sell that are SOUND?

[Edited on 10/17/2004 by fredtgreco]

Man, what a waste of time it is browsing Christian book stores anymore.

You can say that again!

What I am wondering is, are there any "famous" pastor/authors who are worth reading?

The only ones that I can think of are the ones that you already know. The first one that comes to mind is MacArthur.

I wonder where "Max Lucado" stands theology wise?

I don't know what denomination he belongs to but I'm pretty sure that he's arminian. One time I picked up his book called "He Chose the Nails" and skimmed over some pages in the store. It's been a couple years ago so I don't remember the exact quotes but it was enough that I knew I would be wasting my time reading him.

I usually order books. I've pretty much given up trying to find decent ones in the stores. Although sometimes I do find a good one.

I have been ordering books too, but there is a HUGE Christian book store minutes from me and I want so badly to be able to shop there. It's called J.O.Y. Bookstore. It's very nice, comfortable, and welcoming. But man the selection...

I spen my time in the TINY Theology section. Half of that is stuff I wouldn't want. The "classic" section has 20 copies of the same book and 20-30 Catholic books.:banghead:

Originally posted by houseparent
I have been ordering books too, but there is a HUGE Christian book store minutes from me and I want so badly to be able to shop there. It's called J.O.Y. Bookstore. It's very nice, comfortable, and welcoming. But man the selection...

I spen my time in the TINY Theology section. Half of that is stuff I wouldn't want. The "classic" section has 20 copies of the same book and 20-30 Catholic books.:banghead:

Adam,
You must mean, *Roman "catholic" books. This board is a Catholic board. We are not Roman Catholic however.

Ok, that will have to be explained to me Scott. (edit)Are we talking semantics here?

[Edited on 18-10-2004 by houseparent]

I wonder where "Max Lucado" stands theology wise?

I don't know what denomination he belongs to but I'm pretty sure that he's arminian. One time I picked up his book called "He Chose the Nails" and skimmed over some pages in the store. It's been a couple years ago so I don't remember the exact quotes but it was enough that I knew I would be wasting my time reading him.
[/quote]

Lucado comes from a Church of Christ background, but I understand his church has dropped that designation.

I believe Scott is talking about "catholic" in the sense of universal. The "catholic church" being all believers. That is a different sense than when you are speaking of "Roman Catholic" which is specific to their church.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited on 18-10-2004 by Athaleyah]

I figured something like that as one of the creeds says "The Holy Catholic Church". Truth be told, I never fully understood that.

Yes, we all need to get in the habit of using the term accurately. We are 'Catholic". We are NOT Roman catholic!

This is another one of those issues that I can totally relate with you Adam. I used to make my regular rounds at the many Christian bookstores down here but now I just get disgusted by all of the nonsense. There is one good store that I've found though (Mardels) -they've got a bunch of Banner of Truth, Soli Deo Gloria, P&R, etc...but I've shifted into buying most of my new books online.

Catholic is just another way of saying "universal" ...hence the distinction that Scott pointed out.

An acquaintence gave me a Lucado book a couple of years ago (No Wonder They Call Him Savior). I have to say that I didn't like it at all. Even though I only read it when I was going to the bathroom, I still feel like I wasted my time reading it. Like much of contemporary Christian literature it had that indefinable vibe to it...I guess it I would say it struck me as being effeminate in its lack of kohunas. I think most moderns suffer from this wimp factor.

Also,

Isn't it a plain oxymoron to say that something is both Roman...AND Catholic?

[Edited on 18-10-2004 by SmokingFlax]

It is funny but it's tragic at the same time. I think it shows that a huge chunk of the evangelical world has been castrated by feminism and that it is the women who are really exerting leadership. Don't talk about justice and judgment, just mercy...we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Who is wearing the pants?

That's definately true on the internet! Most well known and populated Christian message boards are ran and controlled by women, or at least moderated by a majority of women.

Like I said, we need more women like Janice here:bigsmile:

I've been disappointed by the books in most Christian Bookstores. The lone exception being Logos bookstore in Fredericksburg, VA. They had some of the "junk" as I call it, but they also were the source of most of the solid books in my library.

Since we have moved back to the midwest and away from that story, my husband and I joke about it when we go into one, separating the books into "heresy" and "rank heresy" but its really sad and it makes me angry.

When you have a whole section dedicated to Benny Hinn and Joyce Meyer, and the most substantive thing you can find is Philip Yancey, its infuriating. I know that this is where the money is (and they need to make a profit to stay in business), but for anyone who wanders into one of those stores looking for guidance, they are going to walk away thinking that Christians are just as bad as those greedy televangelists they see on TV... in fact they can buy books by the greedy televangelists they see on TV. I know that people who belong to the Lord will come to him, but I personally have been set back by the errors of man. I guess if I were a Christian Bookstore owner I wouldn't be for long because I would refuse to stock or order that junk, and I would tell people why.

Granted, I did learn some from some of Philip Yancey's books early on. "The Jesus I Never Knew" really did help me to refine my picture of Jesus from the Sunday school Jesus I learned as a child, into a real person. And "The Bible Jesus Read" gave me a better appreciation for the Old Testament and encouraged me to undertake reading it and appreciating it. So if you get desperate in one of those bookstores, you might flip through one of the above to see if anything in it could be of use to you, though I imagine it would be too basic.

But I think Yancey completely drops the ball in "Soul Survivor : How Thirteen Unlikely Mentors Helped My Faith Survive the Church" and that was the last book of his that I read. Its been a few years since I read it, and I mostly remember thinking that he was talking about how his chosen non-christians were better Christians than most Christians.

I agree that Max Lucado is a bit too touchy-feely. More inspirational reading than anything substantive. I read one of his books a long time ago and didn't have the desire to read any more.

My $0.02

Personally, I don't mind reading some of the other books...as long as I know where I stand, and can decipher the good from the bad. If I have questions I have a reliable person who can help sort through the truth from the chaff. By and large, though I usually stick with Piper, Packer, Allistar Begg, Sproul, Lloyd-Jones...but I am going to pick up a Yancy book that was recommended to me (I don't have huge expectations). I haven't read Max Lucido buy my impression is similar to what Athaleyah expressed.

Even though I only read it when I was going to the bathroom, I still feel like I wasted my time reading it.

If you only read it while going to the bathroom, I thought of a good use for the pages. :D

I think I agree with the sentiments thus far. Most authors today have too much fluff, not enough meat. They really don't say anything relevent.

I'll have to check out the Logos store in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I can't say that I have been inside any soundly Reformed Christian bookstore, though I know there are some out there having ordered online from some faithful sites. The really good bookstore businesses, in my experience (a la David Lachman, etc.) are those with antiquarian specialities way beyond my price range. It would be fun just to window shop in places like that, I think. Sometimes I wish I could change my profession, start with a huge inventory and get into the Reformed book business. But then I remember that I would probably spend so much time reading that I would forget to market my products and end up on church welfare! (sigh) :book2:

Logos does have an assortment of "junk" but they also have the best classics section I've seen in a Christian bookstore. And they have enough theology books to actually have a section dedicated to it. They are not strictly reformed and you do have to sift through the chaff. And should you need a copy of the Footprints poem as a plaque, and a Thomas Kinkaid painting with a bible verse at the bottom, well that's there too. [sheepish grin]

It was worth the trip from Alexandria for my husband and me though. Didn't want to give the wrong impression, especially when one would have to come from Warrenton.

There is a store in my city which is rather good. Soon after I found this site I listed a whole lot of books that the webmaster had recommended. I took them to this book shop owner but he did not have them. It was like he suddenly remembered these old classic books existed. It was the week before University break so when I came back about three weeks later he had all sorts of interesting books in stock. I couldnt choose! He had set up this big display in the front with all sorts of books about the reformation and Christian greats. Eventually I went down the back and found he had set up yet another classics section. In the end I bought "Foxe's Book of Martyrs", "Jonathan Edwards: His Greatest Sermons, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God & 11 More Classic Messages" (long title) and last but not least - "Confessions" by Augustine.

I so wish I could by all of them ;)

Actually, I have been fortunate to find some good books in the clearance section of christian bookstores (Family BookStores). I so far found Martyn LLoyd Jones commentaires on Ephesians for $2.00 ea. I found his doctrine of God series for $5.00 ea. I found "Putting Amazing Back into Grace' for $.99. Also a bunch of spurgeon books for $1.99. I also bought my reformation study bible on clearance (NJK). Since the reformed books are not popular in the christian bookstores, they usually put these in the clearance section. If you dig through all the junk, you can find some real gems sometimes. Kind of like digging for diamonds.

Where I live I am lucky enough to have a Christian bookstore (Hulls) that usually have some decent new stuff; Piper, MacArthur, Sproul. They also have some Lloyd-Jones and whenever a new books comes out by someone like James White they will usually have a copy of it and of course a Classics section with Bunyan, Augustine and the like. They actually had several copies of Luther's Table Talk when I was in last week so I bought one. Thats not to say they don't have bad stuff, they have a lot of it...but they need to stay in business somehow. Usually I end up ordering books through them becasue they have great customer serivce, and will do everythingthey can to find a book for you.

The best thing I discovered last year however has been used bookstores. Yes they have a lot of garbage in them, but they also have a lot of great finds for cheap! And thats important when you buy a books every couple weeks.

Bryan
SDG

Can't find a good bookstore?

I'd say shop online. I know its not the same, but if you want good stuff...

The 'not-so' discerning reader has some good stuff.

And www.tabernaclebookshop.org has only reviewed and vetted books. You get no junk!

Originally posted by JonathanHunt
Can't find a good bookstore?

I'd say shop online. I know its not the same, but if you want good stuff...

The 'not-so' discerning reader has some good stuff.

And www.tabernaclebookshop.org has only reviewed and vetted books. You get no junk!
I cant wait to get a credit card ;)... oh and pay off my debts to my parents :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back