To what do "my songs" refer? Hezekiah in Isaiah 38:20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
I've been trying to determine what Hezekiah means by "my songs." Commentaries seem to prefer the view that "my songs" were songs Hezekiah wrote. We then see these songs in the Songs of Degrees in the Psalms. But I'm not too confident about Hezekiah being the author of these psalms, especially given that his earlier commitment was to the words of David and Asaph. Another option sometimes presented is that the verse is mistranslated; but then what does it mean for Hezekiah to play "my instruments"? I'm tempted to say that these songs are the Psalms themselves (as some commentaries present); he being the king and a reformer, perhaps he viewed these songs as "his" in some sense. However, I'm not sure there is evidence that is conclusive for this view? Perhaps another possibility is that these songs were prophetical songs, like that of Habakkuk and in 1 Cor. 14; but these songs of Hezekiah were to be sung by more than just himself.

So what exactly are these songs that Hezekiah claims as his?

Another option sometimes presented is that the verse is mistranslated;

Not mistranslated, but simply making some sense of a difficult construction. Literally it reads, We will hand my (or the) hand instruments. "My" might be a paragoge. At any rate, lyrical "songs" are not necessarily involved. It could be a purpose to engage in the musical orchestration of the sacrifice in view of the Lord's saving mercy. Orchestrated sacrifice was a part of Hezekiah's reforms.

I haven't read any commentaries on this. But just giving it a plain reading, looking at the context, I would think that these are "his" songs either because their singing will be initiated by him to express his joy at his coming recovery or because they will be sung in honor of his recovery. Such a use says nothing about the author of the song; it merely means Hezekiah expects to participate in the singing and/or be the cause of the celebration. Consider how we might call "Hail to the Chief" the president's song even though he didn't write it.

It may also refer to Hezekiah the King as Commissioner of a number of inspired Psalms. Proverbs 25.1 makes clear that Hezekiah had a number of men that were at very least scribes under his authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back