To the Children of Godly Parents - Charles H. Spurgeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
From a Sermon delivered at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington, on Lord’s Day evening, Match 27, 1887, reprinted by Pilgrim Publishers

Proverbs 6:20-21 (KJV) : My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.

And then Solomon, because he would not have us keep these things secret as if we were ashamed of them, adds, “and tie them around your neck,” for they are worthy of boldest display. Did you ever see my Lord Mayor wearing his chain of office? He is not at all ashamed to wear it. And the sheriffs with their badges; I have a vivid memory of the enormous size to which those ornaments attain; and they take care to wear them, too. Now then, you who have any love for God, tie your religion around your neck. Do not be ashamed of it, put it on as an ornament, wear it as the mayor does his chain. When you go into company, never be ashamed to say that you are a Christian; and if there is any company where you cannot go as a Christian, well, do not go there at all. Say to yourself, “I will not be where I could not introduce my Master; I will not go where he could not go with me.” You will find that resolve to be a great help to you in the choice of where you will go, and where you will not go; therefore bind it on your heart, tie it around your neck. May God help you to do this, and so to follow those godly ones who have gone before you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back