Three truths to rivet upon your hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Halyburton, The Great Concern of Salvation (Works, p. 107):

I cannot now enter upon the consideration of many other pretences, whereby sinners shelter themselves from convictions; only I wish ye may rivet upon your hearts three truths, which will help to preserve you from laying weight upon them. (1.) Be persuaded, that there are but few that will be saved. Christ has said so, and who dare give him the lie? (2.) Believe it, they who shall be saved, shall not be saved in an easy way. The “righteous are scarcely saved,” 1 Pet. 4:18. (3.) Ye are to endeavour a solid conviction, that there is no salvation for you, but in the gospel-way, Acts 4:12. Understand and believe these three truths, and this will be a mean to preserve you from a reliance upon things that cannot profit.

Thomas Halyburton, The Great Concern of Salvation (Works, p. 107):

(1.) Be persuaded, that there are but few that will be saved. Christ has said so, and who dare give him the lie?

Though the number of stars that can be seen by the naked eye are beyond our ability to count I assume Thomas would agree that the number of stars that can not be seen via the eye is indeed much larger than the relatively few we do see.

Though the number of stars that can be seen by the naked eye are beyond our ability to count I assume Thomas would agree that the number of stars that can not be seen via the eye is indeed much larger than the relatively few we do see.

Yes, undoubtedly in the sight of God there is a great multitude that no man can number; but so far as our own salvation is concerned, we must be aware that "few" are saved so that we do not naturally follow "many" to destruction.

I must admit that I'm not too familiar with Thomas Halyburton's writings. Thanks for the last few devotional posts from his corpus. They've certainly gotten my interest in this man and his ministry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back