Thoughts on The New King James Version??????...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I both cherish the NKJV. I own copies of the KJV, NIV, ESV and NASB to aid in study and I value them but I have never been tempted to switch to any of them as my core reading/study bible.

My eldest children (12 and 9) own copies of the NKJV and cope well with reading and memorisation - I havent seen the need to go for a dynamic equivalent.

Hope that helps!

The NKJV is fantastic,very solid and from the TR,Two of my Pastors use it,and if I had to pick one bible to give away it would be the NKJV.Both the John MacArthur Study Bible and the Old Reformation Study Bible are still available in NKJV,I think you should jump right into and enjoy it you will be blessed

As far as the ESV goes as was mentioned alot already,I have the ESV Study Bible as well and really recommend it too,great translation and will go through it in 2009,however as someone who's heart is in the KJV I have to recommend the NKJV as best modern translation esp. for the use of the TR

Dear brother,

Besides the textual issues there is another reason why the AV is superior. Its theological accuracy in traslation. It is a much easier transition from reading the text of God's word to seeing those doctrines formulated in our confessions when the theology and language are the same. You will be missing much by switching to the NKJV which does not share the same theological outlook as the AV translators (check out the Trinitarian Bible Society's website for more on this). My own advice is be patient and be willing to explain words and concepts, but use the AV with your wife. It may be slow going for a while, but in the long run it will be worth it.

I agree the Theology in the AV readings are much better than most modern translations, I will still be using the AV myself! Like I say my wife uses a NLT and NIV, I think the NKJV might be good for transition.....:2cents:

Depending on your relationship, you could just make her happy and use her Bible. There are arguably better Bibles than the NIV or NKJV but the NIV is still a Bible. What's the chance that you will chose to study a passage in the NIV that will mess her head up, or yours for that matter? Would it make her feel better in you just used the NIV? Is that a consideration?

Depending on your relationship, you could just make her happy and use her Bible. There are arguably better Bibles than the NIV or NKJV but the NIV is still a Bible. What's the chance that you will chose to study a passage in the NIV that will mess her head up, or yours for that matter? Would it make her feel better in you just used the NIV? Is that a consideration?
No, sorry Brother, the DE method AND the undergirding texts of the NIV rules it out.:2cents:

Dude just go for the NKJV...I think it is the only middle ground (translation wise) between the two of you based on info you gave...and a good middle ground at that.

Not to mention lots of nice bindings. You won't have to settle for a stupid hardcover or bonded leather. Do I hear a chorus of angels in the background singing the Allen's Chorus?

Dude just go for the NKJV...I think it is the only middle ground (translation wise) between the two of you based on info you gave...and a good middle ground at that.
Thank you Matthew! I think it is a good Bible for us to use as a couple! If she wishes to use her NIV for personal readings and study this is fine with me. I will still be using my Allan Oxford Clarendon AV. We just need something we can use together, and Matthew I agree:judge::judge::judge: the NKJV is the best middle ground Bible for us both to use. :book2::book2::popcorn:

My wife and I need to spend time in the Word as a couple, I own a NKJV, but confess I have never done a "Genesis to Maps" reading, as most here know I am a Byzantine Text/King James man. My wife uses a NIV and A NLT....I was wondering what you, my PB Brethren thought about the merits of a NKJV as a Bible we can read together as a married couple? (Still keeping my King Jimmy as my Bible.) I am looking to something to help us "meet in the middle".....Thoughts....Comments.:detective::book2::popcorn:

I think the RSV is TR based also is it not? It might be worth a look.
Hi Zack, the RSV is actually a CT translation using the UBS 1st Edition.:book2:

While you're at it, read these two excellent articles (PDF) from Trinitarian Bible Society:

An Examination of the New King James Version, Part 1
An Examination of the New King James Version, Part 2

:tombstone:

Though I agree on the very few interpretation errors in the NKJV, hades for hell, etc. and that there are apparently few Translator scholars who are exclusive TR men so the editors added some marginal notes from critical text, I think the NKJV is superior to other translations and certainly easier to understand properly esp. for children than the antiquated language of the KJV.

I can more easily teach my family the few weaknesses in the NKJV than to overcome the archaic language of the KJV.

And I think there may be a couple words in the KJV that could have been translated better, so it is not as if it is without any weakness found in the NKJV.

It also tends for many KJV readers to pray in tongues, :worms: a foreign language, no longer used on the planet today, and causes many to think they need to learn this special prayer language to be holy or pray properly and discourages them. A horrible unnecessary side effect of the KJV for many. I am not referring to the use of Thee and Thou for reverence of the Lord or to distinguish plural, but the antiquated endings.

I was raised on KJV, I memorized the KJV and still use it to search Strong's concordance because I memorized it exclusively until college where I switched to NASB and fouled up my mind. I read the ESV hopefully because supposedly reformed men were influential in translation but I find it weakened the reformed language so I do not see their influence especially where it was needed most, the same in the NIV paraphrase.
I can read the KJV rapidly out loud and substitute the archaic endings to modern without skipping a beat, but this is not common for most.

So though I remain favorable to the TR as the ONLY preserved text for the church, I am not an KJV only adherent.

In my personal reading and study I generally read the NKJV or the KJV and compare back and forth and for the last 3 years often compare with the ESV.

So why didn't the opposers of the NKJV translation get on the board to translate? If you are going to have a TR translation, why not have and overriding vote of TR men doing the work?

What's the chance that you will chose to study a passage in the NIV that will mess her head up, or yours for that matter?

It would depend upon how they were taught to read the Bible and their approach to it.

If they were taught that the Bible is the word of God and you actually believe it when you read it, then the potential to have it "mess the head up" is pretty great. It did me, anyway. But I was told it was the Bible just translated in modern English. So, I approached the NIV the same way I did the Authorized Version, I received it as the word of God and actually believed it, which resulted in a crisis of faith.

On the other hand, if they were taught the modern notion that the word of God only really exists in original autographs and all Bibles are facsimiles to be treasured as literature, then probably not so much.

ESV. It has its flaws but it will read more like the NIV/NLT...

The ESV does not read like the NIV or the NLT. That's part of the whole point of the translation: more accurate than the NIV, more easily read than the NASB. The ESV is not just a better version of the NIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back