Thoughts on The New King James Version??????...

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
My wife and I need to spend time in the Word as a couple, I own a NKJV, but confess I have never done a "Genesis to Maps" reading, as most here know I am a Byzantine Text/King James man. My wife uses a NIV and A NLT....I was wondering what you, my PB Brethren thought about the merits of a NKJV as a Bible we can read together as a married couple? (Still keeping my King Jimmy as my Bible.) I am looking to something to help us "meet in the middle".....Thoughts....Comments.:detective::book2::popcorn:

ESV. It has its flaws but it will read more like the NIV/NLT and be a literal rendering of the text as much as possible (or so I hear ;) ). I have quite a bit less experience with the NKJV, so my opinions on it aren't very well qualified.

I'm a NASB man, myself, but I must confess that I find the poetic readings in the NKJV (the Psalms in particular) to be superior in many ways. Even though I preach and teach out of the NASB, I will often read the Call to Worship from the NKJV, for example.

I'm not a NKJV user. I use the ESV, NASB, and KJV. But, if you wife wants to use the NKJV then do it. Almost anything is better than nothing.

ESV. It has its flaws but it will read more like the NIV/NLT and be a literal rendering of the text as much as possible (or so I hear ;) ). I have quite a bit less experience with the NKJV, so my opinions on it aren't very well qualified.
Andrew, small "prob" my wife does not care for how the ESV reads, I don't care for the under-girding Hebrew-Greek Texts so....square one, as a couples "home/devotional/read together Bible" might the NKJV satisfy both our needs?
:detective::popcorn:

I say "happy medium" because the first congregation I pastored was rural and many/most of the folks used the KJV (those who didn't used the NIV). No one (other than me and my wife) used the NASB. After about a year I seriously entertained thoughts of switching to the NKJV. But as soon as I did, several folks started coming to me individually and asking what translation I used and how much they liked it! So I didn't want to pull and bait-and-switch on them and stuck with the NASB as my "preaching Bible."

My primary Bible is NASB, my fall-back is NKJV. I suspect you and your wife will be pleased with the NKJV. It will sound familiar to both of you.

Andrew, small "prob" my wife does not care for how the ESV reads, I don't care for the under-girding Hebrew-Greek Texts so....square one, as a couples "home/devotional/read together Bible" might the NKJV satisfy both our needs?

Oh. Then sure, the NKJV should be satisfactory! The fact that you will be reading from any bible means that you are better off than most people anyway :p

I do wonder what your wife will think about how the NKJV reads, though.

The New King James Bible: Counterfeit

If you read it you may lose your salvation ;) well, so this article thinks...

I happen to think its quite good, but then what the heck do I know, I've spent most of my Christian life in Pentecostal world where hermenuetics is something that needs to be bound and cast out of someone in Jesus name! :p

I use the ESV but would agree with your wife that the ESV has funny readings.

I have done a once through (Genesis to maps) with the NKJV and it was great. I personally think that the NKJV is an excellent read cover to cover! If I was convinced of the underlying texts it would hands down be my primary bible. Although, either way going from the NLT/NIV to a formal translation will be a transition.

btw - other than the Pitt Minion, I think that this Nelson edition that mark reviewed is very nice:
Bible Design and Binding: Nelson Signature Slimline NKJV in Tan Calfskin

I have done a once through (Genesis to maps) with the NKJV and it was great. I personally think that the NKJV is an excellent read cover to cover! If I was convinced of the underlying texts it would hands down be my primary bible. Although, either way going from the NLT/NIV to a formal translation will be a transition.

I struggled terribly with the NKJV and had to stop. I think my problem was that I grew up in a strict KJV church that thought Bible education equaled Scripture verse memory. By the time I was in high school I had probably thousands of verses memorized and maybe a few chapters and short books of the Bible. When I read NKJV I trip all over myself because it's close but not quite.

So, I use primarily ESV. Personally, I think it's a great literary triumph, and it's far enough from the wording of the KJV that I can differentiate in my head.

As one that has done many times Genesis to maps through the NKJV I will definitely remain with it as I love it! I had feared a difficult transition from the KJV but the change over was with ease and I love it.

Any bible that doesnt render Genesis 7:1 as 'Come' into the ark I just cannot find acceptable and conclude there would be other words not transcribed in the very best way. There is just too much significance in that verse in the use of the word 'come'!!
I love reading the NKJV and so hope to make many more trips through it, deo volente!!

Yes, go with the NKJV.

Let her keep her NLT handy for comparison and hopefully it won't be long before she throws it away. :lol:

You could always take a black marker and put an N in front of the KJV, so she'll think it's the NKJV, but really will be the KJV. By the time she figures it out, she'll be in love the the KJV and you two will sail off into the golden sunset...

My wife and I need to spend time in the Word as a couple, I own a NKJV, but confess I have never done a "Genesis to Maps" reading, as most here know I am a Byzantine Text/King James man. My wife uses a NIV and A NLT....I was wondering what you, my PB Brethren thought about the merits of a NKJV as a Bible we can read together as a married couple? (Still keeping my King Jimmy as my Bible.) I am looking to something to help us "meet in the middle".....Thoughts....Comments.:detective::book2::popcorn:

I think the RSV is TR based also is it not? It might be worth a look.

Dear brother,

Besides the textual issues there is another reason why the AV is superior. Its theological accuracy in traslation. It is a much easier transition from reading the text of God's word to seeing those doctrines formulated in our confessions when the theology and language are the same. You will be missing much by switching to the NKJV which does not share the same theological outlook as the AV translators (check out the Trinitarian Bible Society's website for more on this). My own advice is be patient and be willing to explain words and concepts, but use the AV with your wife. It may be slow going for a while, but in the long run it will be worth it.

Last edited:
I have used the NKJV for the past 20 years, although I mainly use the ESV now.

In your situation I would certainly recommend the NKJV. It is based on the Received Text, generally accurate and easy to read; it is interesting in James White's book 'The KJV only controversy', James praises the NKJV more than the NIV.

I have mainly used the ESV (for reasons of textual tradition). However, from a reading standpoint, I have started to use the NKJV and like it immensely. To my ears it is MUCH smoother than the ESV.

From a textual standpoint, it is pretty cool having notes telling you when the Nestle Text differs from the TR or MT. And, while I hate to admit it (having ignored it for many years), it really is a very solid translation.

I agree with the majority. No not the majority text, the majority here who say the NKJV is a great translation to read and study.

I was raised on KJV, tend to like the TR argument, and am strict confessional and note that the Confession did not specify a translation.

The NV is a paraphrase barely suited for children reading, but certainly not serious study of the word, and the NAS which I switch to for a few years in college didn't have much reformed influence, though I don't see it in the ESV either which is more awkward to read than the ASV. So I do not see the ESV being the great readable Bible of the next century as many say. They said this of NAS and of NIV also.

If ministers pressed the NKJV as they do the ESV it would be the readable accurate bible of the future.

The few exceptions one may have to the NKJV from KJV or ESV are insignificant for home study and worship.

I strongly dislike the ESV changing reformed distinctive words like Elect and softening them. I wrote a Summary of Christian Doctrine Study for our high School kids. following Berkhof and the LArger Catechism and used the ESV comparing it to the KJV and NKJV and NAS all the way through and just don't like it. I use it because our church does, but still use the KJV because I have so much of it memorized I use it to search strongs and then quote NKJV

My wife did the NIV when she was new but now we do NKJV or ESV for the grandkids sake and continuity with church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back