Thoughts on the Bible Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Is anyone very familiar with the theology of the folks behind the Bible Project videos that you see on Youtube? (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfwlh9XpX2Y_tQfjeln9QA) They've produced hundreds of videos that walk through redemptive-historical themes and issues. Some of the videos give overviews of different books of the Bible while others trace a specific word or theme. They're well done (from a professional/technical/visual standpoint) but I've only watched a few of them so I can't speak to their theology.

Seems to be evangelical to me but I'm not sure. Does anyone know more?

I've listened to some of their podcast, which are longer form but similar to the videos. I find they are definitely Evangelical (high view of Scripture) but not Reformed, or strictly beholden to more particular theological strain. They're generally coming more as Biblical scholars than Theologians. The founder, Dr. Tim Mackie, has a PhD in Semitic Languages and is a professor at Western Seminary (Conservative Baptist).

They can be a little too focused on providing a novel view of the text sometimes to me, and of course sometimes they disagree with Reformed distinctives. Nonetheless, I find them sometimes interesting to listen to. I know several folks who this has awakened an interest in studying the Bible from. I also have a seminarian friend who spoke highly of a class taken with Dr. Mackie.

They are good on languages and looking at the text. I don't personally listen to them since it seems to be rehashed Heiser, but they sometimes have good material.

They are good on languages and looking at the text. I don't personally listen to them since it seems to be rehashed Heiser, but they sometimes have good material.

I'm not familiar with Heiser; what's his shtick?

Note to others: they seem to be very free with 2CV. :(

I'm not familiar with Heiser; what's his shtick?

Note to others: they seem to be very free with 2CV. :(

He reads the Bible the way someone in the ancient near east would have read it. He's most famous for his straight-forward reading of Genesis 6 and Psalm 82.

On other fronts, he is a leading Semitics scholar and knows a dozen ANE languages.
https://drmsh.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back