Thoughts on Poythress

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by StephenMartyr, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenMartyr

StephenMartyr Puritan Board Freshman

If one is coming from a liking to reading the line of Warfield, Machen, Murray and the Puritans like Brooks and Owen, how would one find Poythress? Is he pretty spot on or does he go off on the sides a bit? I ordered some books by him awhile back and wondered if I should have. Is he pretty sound?

2. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

Broadly, he is a submitting-to-Scripture, confessionally Reformed, and super-smart American Presbyterian. So yes, he falls very much within the same family as the guys you mentioned.

Of course, we Reformed types sometimes specialize in finding smaller areas of disagreement and highlighting those. If there's a specific issue, point of doctrine, or approach you are wondering about, it might help if you tell us what that is. Then someone here might be able to compare and contrast Poythress with one of those other guys.

3. StephenMartyr

StephenMartyr Puritan Board Freshman

No, I think your first sentences helped :) His works seem pretty deep!

4. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses is outstanding, and a must-read if you ever have to deal with Dispensationalists (and we have a LOT of Dispensationalists in Dallas).

He also wrote Understanding Dispensationalists for those interested in dealing with, rather than confronting those suffering from that error.

5. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Shadow of Christ is outstanding.

His Logic: A God-Centered Approach has some great chapters but it is very uneven.

His sermons on spiritual warfare are top-notch. I like him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.