Thompson-Chain Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Maybe I'm just late to the party about this, but I noticed today - in a Barnes & Noble store that has a remarkably large Bibles section - that the Thompson Chain Bible is now available in the NASB and the ESV. For the NASB, they use the 1977 text. Both were published in 2021. Thompson Chain is now owned by Thomas Nelson, apparently.

Just in case you're a fan. . .

Zondervan actually owns the rights now. They have been in the process of setting all of the translations to the comfort print in the Thompson Chain and have made some improvements to the layout, which is nice. I own a nice edition of the KJV bound by AA Leather that I love, but I might spring for one of the Zondervan editions in a different translation down the road.

At any rate...here is a page on Zondervan's website on the TCR - https://www.zondervan.com/p/thompsonchainreferenceblog-home/

Zondervan actually owns the rights now. They have been in the process of setting all of the translations to the comfort print in the Thompson Chain and have made some improvements to the layout, which is nice. I own a nice edition of the KJV bound by AA Leather that I love, but I might spring for one of the Zondervan editions in a different translation down the road.

At any rate...here is a page on Zondervan's website on the TCR - https://www.zondervan.com/p/thompsonchainreferenceblog-home/

You're right. It is Zondervan. I think that's the first time I've been wrong. . . since the last time I was wrong.

Correct, Zondervan now owns the rights to the Thompson Chain. I'd like to get one in ESV, but I am waiting, with hope that they will release a genuine leather version at some point, rather than bonded leather. Currently, only Zondervan's own NIV translation is available in a "premium leather" cover.

I own a very beautiful KJV Thompson chain put out by Church Publishers. The binding is sewn and the cover is calfskin.

In browsing around the only version of a Thompson I've found available without red-lettering is in the NIV (which I know @Reformed Covenanter will highly approve of...). Are other translations available in black-letter?

Yeah, not a fan of red-letter Bibles.

I've always wanted to get a Thompson Chain of my own. I use the library copy at MARS plenty, but it turns out that I might be getting a copy soon! My in-laws purchased a NKJV Thompson Chain for my son's birthday. Before we knew that they ordered one on his wish list, my sister bought him a copy of the new printing of the Reformation Heritage Study Bible. That was our first choice for him anyhow. With that, if the ordered can't be canceled, my in-laws decided to give me the TC Bible and get him a different gift. We shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back