Thomas Schreiner's "Covenant and God's Purpose for the World"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOldCourse

Puritan Board Sophomore
Has anyone read it? My church is going to be using it as the text for its Sunday School classes on covenant theology and I was curious if anyone had any exposure to it. I thought it was surprising (to put it mildly) to see a Presbyterian church using a book on CT written by a Baptist who has been associated with New Covenant Theology in the past. I was hoping to find a careful Reformed review of it but all I could find was a mostly positive one from a confessional Baptist.

Chris,

I literally just started it and can't offer anything substantive on it. However, I too echo the surprise in hearing a PCA church is going to use it as the primer for a CT class! If its not too late try and get them to switch to Jonty Rhodes' book "Covenants Made Simple."

Totally separate, but this reminds me of my days in the PCA when I was seriously considering Presbyterianism. I was amazed at how many Baptists there were and I was equally surprised by the dependence on Baptist publishers for Sunday School curriculums, etc.

At any rate...here's an interview Books at a Glance conducted with Thomas Schreiner on the book, which might give you a better understanding on its scope and emphasis.

Chris,

I literally just started it and can't offer anything substantive on it. However, I too echo the surprise in hearing a PCA church is going to use it as the primer for a CT class! If its not too late try and get them to switch to Jonty Rhodes' book "Covenants Made Simple."

Totally separate, but this reminds me of my days in the PCA when I was seriously considering Presbyterianism. I was amazed at how many Baptists there were and I was equally surprised by the dependence on Baptist publishers for Sunday School curriculums, etc.

At any rate...here's an interview Books at a Glance conducted with Thomas Schreiner on the book, which might give you a better understanding on its scope and emphasis.

Thank you for the interview link, I'll take a look. Your suggestion or Michael Brown's book would make so much more sense. I'm guessing it's too late but I do intend to speak with the session about alternatives.

My experience in the PCA has been similar to yours. It's not the first time my church has used a broadly Reformed Baptist book as a basis for Sunday School but it's the first time they've used one on a topic so near to the core of the disagreement between Baptists and P&R folk. Nothing against Baptists, but I always wonder why (though I have my suspicions), with centuries of exceptional P&R works on theology and practical divinity, so many PCA churches continue to prefer books written by those outside of our confessional standards for instruction of their laity.

I am pretty sure the author is a New Covenant Theologian. Therefore he would reject key truths in the 1689 Baptist Confession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back