Thomas Manton's Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
_thumb.asp

Can [-]Andrew Myers[/-] anyone answer these questions concerning the SGCB reprint of Thomas Manton's works:

When are these coming out again? Are they worth getting?

I talked to Machael Gaydosh from Solid Ground, and he said that, after long delay (my name has been on the list for a reservation for over two years!), all obstacles have been removed, and that he expects them to be available in April.

The volumes are all sermons. And they are priceless. Ryle recommended him above all other Puritans.

I talked to Machael Gaydosh from Solid Ground, and he said that, after long delay (my name has been on the list for a reservation for over two years!), all obstacles have been removed, and that he expects them to be available in April.

The volumes are all sermons. And they are priceless. Ryle recommended him above all other Puritans.

May they be purchased individually, or do you have to buy them all?

_thumb.asp

Can [-]Andrew Myers[/-] anyone answer these questions concerning the SGCB reprint of Thomas Manton's works:

I have his 22 volume red hardback set. I think I bought them back around 1978.

I've not spoken with Mike Gaydosh about his plans, but the set is worth its weight in gold.

All 22 volumes are, as someone else has noted, nothing but sermons. Manton was well versed in the early church fathers and other writers in the history of the church. His 176 sermons on Psalm 119 (vols 6-9) are very good. He preached through James (vol 4), Jude (vol 5), Hebrews 11 (vols. 13-15), Romans 6 & 8 (vols 11-12), John 17 (vols 10-11), Ephesians 5:1-27 (Vol 19), and Isaiah 53 (vol 3) for some examples of consecutive series.

DTK

Doesn't look like you can buy individual volumes from Solid Ground. Banner of Truth has the first three volumes, the Hebrews 11 series, James and Jude, and Psalm 119, each available on its own.

Doesn't look like you can buy individual volumes from Solid Ground. Banner of Truth has the first three volumes, the Hebrews 11 series, James and Jude, and Psalm 119, each available on its own.

I don't know if I will have room for them in that case. :(

There are plenty of other books you could pitch to make room for something this important, I bet. ;-)

There are plenty of other books you could pitch to make room for something this important, I bet. ;-)

There are, but I need all those paper back books commentaries as I don't have time to read the likes of Manton on weekdays, and I if I ever have children then I need to give them something to read (Manton's a bit heavy for 5 year olds:lol:)

Wow! Great idea! I had a dusty old set of Sys Theo books I was going to give to someone on PB. Maybe I should just put them up for bid? :lol: (Just kidding, Lane).

_thumb.asp

No need for me to answer. I very much agree with Lane. I love the Puritans, and Manton is one of the best.

For any who are interested, all 22 volumes are available online here:

Links and Downloads Manager - Theological Links - The Complete Works of Thomas Manton (22 Volumes) Online - The PuritanBoard

No need for me to answer. I very much agree with Lane. I love the Puritans, and Manton is one of the best.

For any who are interested, all 22 volumes are available online here:

Links and Downloads Manager - Theological Links - The Complete Works of Thomas Manton (22 Volumes) Online - The PuritanBoard

Andrew, you are AMAZING! If you ever get out to So. Cal., look me up. I'll buy you dinner.

Hey, I would love to take you up on that. Thanks, brother! I hope one day we can. :handshake:

You should probably search the online copy to which Andrew linked. The works themselves are all sermons, and they do not have all that descriptive a title. "the one million, nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, five hundred and seventy third sermon on Psalm 119" is not a helpful description of what Manton was actually saying.

You should probably search the online copy to which Andrew linked. The works themselves are all sermons, and they do not have all that descriptive a title. "the one million, nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, five hundred and seventy third sermon on Psalm 119" is not a helpful description of what Manton was actually saying.

I did find something useful in Psalm 119 for my next book, but I am thinking ahead for the one after that. :detective:

Yeah, like the Hal Lindsey and John Hagee books, :lol:

I am very much interested in this set, so keep me posted. What about the price? I always have room for more books. I just start pilling more in the room. My wife is so gracious and never complains that I have too many books.

I am very much interested in this set, so keep me posted. What about the price? I always have room for more books. I just start pilling more in the room. My wife is so gracious and never complains that I have too many books.

Well, of course, you should have reserved it two January's ago, when the price was about $240, if I remember rightly. But even now, if you pre-order the set, it is $400. That is still a fairly good deal.

Well, of course, you should have reserved it two January's ago, when the price was about $240, if I remember rightly. But even now, if you pre-order the set, it is $400. That is still a fairly good deal.

:eek:

:eek:

I'm serious, Stephen! :D The works of Manton are hard to find all in one piece. Most of the individual volumes I have been able to find on bookfinder are more than $25 per volume, which is considerably more than this set. Furthermore, some of those are paperback, whereas this set is not only hardback, but Smyth-sewn.

There are, but I need all those paper back books commentaries as I don't have time to read the likes of Manton on weekdays, and I if I ever have children then I need to give them something to read (Manton's a bit heavy for 5 year olds:lol:)

You could always buy Manton's Works and store them at my house, I won't mind ;)

For the rest of today, the Manton set will be 10% off its current price of $400. So, one could (pre)order it for $360.

Right... and by the time this thing actually prints in 2029, that'll be a steal!

I know, I know. But the *only* thing holding him up is closing the distance between the $80,000 he currently has in pre-orders, and the $130,000 needed to put into the hands of the printers. That is the only obstacle remaining. In fact, he is getting his own set next week. If anyone is rich and willing to give Solid Ground a loan (he pays about 7% interest), we could see the sets by June.

"A Mighty Mountain of Sound Theology"

This is how Spurgeon described The Complete Works of Thomas Manton. At long last, after 2 1/2 years, we have struck a deal with a printer, and are having the 22 Volumes of Manton reprinted. Despite many obstacles, and even discouragements from well-meaning brethren, we are on track to have these ready to ship by the end of July 2008. Please keep us in prayer as we go forward with this project which is easily ten times more than any we have thus far undertaken. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated.

your brother in Christ,
Michael Gaydosh
Solid Ground Christian Books
http://solid-ground-books.com Solid Christian Books for the whole family

It was Manton's writings that cinvinced Toplady to reject his Arminianism for Calvinism and on that basis alone I put in my pre-order some time ago.

The wife will kill me, I have no shelf space and the delivery charge will amount to a recognisable portion of the national debt but come on folks, this is Manton !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back