Thomas Manton Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, not him, but his books have.

My big box containing the 22-volume set of The Works of Thomas Manton arrived yesterday (6/17). Like a couple of others here, I took advantage of Banner of Truth's sale (which continues until August 15, by the way - 22 hardback volumes for $200!).

As physical books, they are extremely well done. Sturdy matching hardbacks (which BoT is famous for) with matching dust jackets. Looking inside, the text is nice and dark, making it clear to see and easy to read.

The only boo-boo I've seen regards the dates of publication of the set back in the 19th century. The back of each dust jacket has a quotation from J. C. Ryle, with a note saying that the set was originally published from 1871 to 1873. But, the copyright page in each volume, as you progress through each book, shows that the set was actually published from 1870 to 1875. A minor thing, I know.

22 volumes of sermons. Can't wait to dig in!

DB2A9B67-893B-4B41-A4C4-6369F582EE05.jpeg

I probably will not start until 2022 as I still need to finish Brakel and then The Institutes. I just could not pass up the deal.

This would cost me $130 to ship, resulting in a total of over $450 Canadian.

Any Yankees know how to help a brother out?

This would cost me $130 to ship, resulting in a total of over $450 Canadian.

Any Yankees know how to help a brother out?
Does anyone have any knowledge about shipping to Canada? Could it be done for less than the 130 that BOT charges? Say, someone bought the set for 200 and had it shipped for free to their house, and then shipped it from there up into the Great White North.

I have the green Solid Ground set. Are these the same (aside from the cover), or different? What does the text inside look like?

Thanks!

The pictured are considerably thicker than the old Maranatha red set reprint from the 80s. At 22 volumes though, I suspect it, the SGB and Banner set all look the same inside; it would depend on the original they used. Hopefully Banner found an original 19th century set and this is not a reprint of a reprint (same case for SGB I would hope).

I have the green Solid Ground set. Are these the same (aside from the cover), or different? What does the text inside look like?

Thanks!
Here some other looks.

Attachments

• C881793C-F582-42EE-9C66-47F4A7308237.jpeg
    C881793C-F582-42EE-9C66-47F4A7308237.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • E27B22A5-39C6-43FA-83C3-441C4E17E290.jpeg
    E27B22A5-39C6-43FA-83C3-441C4E17E290.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • D6445354-AEC8-4C81-BE6E-7CB4CDA2D95A.jpeg
    D6445354-AEC8-4C81-BE6E-7CB4CDA2D95A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 66E8522A-A04F-4289-8D71-343B667DA7CA.jpeg
    66E8522A-A04F-4289-8D71-343B667DA7CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
The pictured are considerably thicker than the old Maranatha red set reprint from the 80s. At 22 volumes though, I suspect it, the SGB and Banner set all look the same inside; it would depend on the original they used. Hopefully Banner found an original 19th century set and this is not a reprint of a reprint (same case for SGB I would hope).

Chris, as I noted above, the print is nice and dark, making it easier to read. Perhaps Banner cleaned up the plates (is that right?) before they did the print run. By the way, I have my set sitting in two stacks of eleven volumes each on the nightstand next to my bed.

Chris, as I noted above, the print is nice and dark, making it easier to read. Perhaps Banner cleaned up the plates (is that right?) before they did the print run. By the way, I have my set sitting in two stacks of eleven volumes each on the nightstand next to my bed.
From the pictures and from what I can recall of my old red set which I sold long time ago, the print does not look anything different. I've not seen the SGB set to know how well the text reproduced in it. Don't let those books fall over in your sleep!

I seriously doubt it, but you never know. I don't think Banner of Truth "does" Kindle stuff. I could be wrong.

There was a new translation of John Calvin's sermons on Job (or at least some of them) that they only published in Kindle if I remember correctly. Yes, there are in fact two volumes of these published thus far, but they are only available in ebook format (see here and here), as in either EPUB or Kindle.mobi.

Does any one know if there is a kindle edition of this set?

Not of the Banner set. There are scans. I looked at the EPUB and Mobi versions and they have all the horrible OCR artifacts that one usually sees from scans of old books.

Pdfs are readable, but sort of unwieldy. I've read a few volumes on my computer. The main advantage is that they don't take up space.

http://www.cpr-foundation.org/library/index.php#Thomas Manton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back