Thomas Jefferson's Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
On April 11, 1823, two days before his 80th birthday, Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Adams, let John Calvin have it:

"I can never join Calvin in addressing his god. He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be, or rather his religion was Daemonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did. The being described in his five points is not the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore, the Creator and benevolent governor of the world, but a daemon or malignant spirit. It would be more pardonable to believe in no god at all, than to blaspheme him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin."

It's pretty obvious that Jefferson never read Calvin or was familiar with the origin of the Five Points.

The entire letter can be found at Founders Online.

This is very sad but I am thankful for him inspiring James Madison to put together the bill of rights.

On April 11, 1823, two days before his 80th birthday, Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Adams, let John Calvin have it:

"I can never join Calvin in addressing his god. He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be, or rather his religion was Daemonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did. The being described in his five points is not the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore, the Creator and benevolent governor of the world, but a daemon or malignant spirit. It would be more pardonable to believe in no god at all, than to blaspheme him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin."

It's pretty obvious that Jefferson never read Calvin or was familiar with the origin of the Five Points.

The entire letter can be found at Founders Online.
Why would he say Calvin is an atheist or a Daemon? I don't understand how either of those terms would apply to a Christian?

Of course, the solution to the problem is to create a cut-and-paste bible with all your favorite portions.

Why would he say Calvin is an atheist or a Daemon? I don't understand how either of those terms would apply to a Christian?
This is pretty common rhetoric against Calvinism. These days most commonly by the group calling themselves "provisionists" (e.g. Leighton Flowers), but also any "free will" group. It is very sad indeed. There are some out there calling themselves Christians that absolutely hate that God is sovereign over everything, including salvation.

There are some out there calling themselves Christians that absolutely hate that God is sovereign over everything, including salvation.
Leighton Flowers is one of those people. I am normally fairly charitable to Arminians. Most of them are simply inconsistent. But I have a hard time seeing how someone who devotes almost 100% of his time and effort to “debunking” God’s sovereign grace can truly be regenerate.

Hmmm. I'm kind of surprised this is an unfamiliar response for you. The truths of Calvinism are not embraced, unless it's pretty watered down

How can calling a Christian an atheist make any logical sense? That's like me saying I prefer milk chocolate, and someone accusing me of not liking any chocolate.

I've seen the same language re: John Calvin in modern eastern orthodox comments. I suspect it comes from identifying him only with a narrowly defined view of soteriology and ignoring his vast writings on almost all matters of theology.

How can calling a Christian an atheist make any logical sense? That's like me saying I prefer milk chocolate, and someone accusing me of not liking any chocolate.

From their point of view, it's like calling someone who believes in Thor and Odin an atheist: They believe in gods that don't exist.

Likewise, some who hate Calvinism would claim that Calvinists believe in a god that doesn't exist, and are therefore functionally atheists.

TJ was a practical atheist. He was offended by the gospel. He called Calvin plenty of things.

At one point I really wrestled with the philosophical implications of Calvinism. But after really researching other doctrines, I found that all new philosophical problems existed in the other systems.

Leighton Flowers is one of those people. I am normally fairly charitable to Arminians. Most of them are simply inconsistent. But I have a hard time seeing how someone who devotes almost 100% of his time and effort to “debunking” God’s sovereign grace can truly be regenerate.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back