Thomas Gouge on Christ as the remedy for sin and death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Q What remedy or redemption is there against sin and death?

A. Jesus Christ the eternal Son of God, who in man’s nature suffered the death of the cross and perfectly fulfilled that Law for all them that do receive him.

Proofs.

• 1 That Jesus Christ is the Son of God, John 20.31. These things are written that ye might believe, that Jesus is that Christ that Son of God, and that in believing ye might have life through his name, Mat. 1.21. & 1 John 3.23.
  • 2 That the Son of God Jesus Christ became man, John 1 14. That word was made flesh and dwelt among us, &c. Heb. 2.14. For as much as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same, that through death he might destroy him, that had the power of death, that is the devil.
  • 3 That Christ suffered death for us, Phil, 2.8. he humbled himself and became obedient to the death, even to the death of the cross.
  • 4 That Christ fulfilled the Law for us, Mat. 3.15. & 5.17. Where Christ professeth it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness and he also saith, think not that I am come to destroy the Law and the Prophets, I am not come to destroy them but to fulfil them Rom. 10 4.
  • That the benefits of Christ do belong to all them that do receive him John 1.12. But as many as received him to them he gave prerogative to be the sons of God even to them that believe in his name see John 6.64 56. where Christ saith who so eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life, and he dwelleth in me and I in him

For the reference, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...ge-on-Christ-as-the-remedy-for-sin-and-death/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back