Thomas Goodwin on Christ and the penitential psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Yea, in those confessions, those passionate psalms made for him, we find him acknowledging of sin as his own. This will appear by some passages in those psalms which are prophetically made of Christ, and utter the inward addresses of his soul unto his Father. And of all the psalms, or other prophecies of this nature, there is no one except the twenty-second, which can challenge more passages in so small a space, applied expressly unto Christ in the New Testament, than the sixty-ninth psalm. In ver. 4 we have it, ‘They hated me without a cause.’ This we find applied by Christ himself, as prophesied of himself, John xv. 25. Again, we have it ver. 9 of that psalm, ‘The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.’ ...

The like you have in the fortieth psalm, ‘Sacrifice and burnt-offering thou wouldst not; Lo I come,’ &c., ver. 6, 7, which how it is applied to Christ you may read in Heb. x, neither can it well be applied to any other. Yet, ver. 12, he says, ‘My iniquities take hold of me.’ He calls them his, not by perpetration, but by a voluntary assumption, and by imputation, reckoning them as his. So Isaiah liii. 6, ‘He laid on him the iniquities of us all.’ In the Hebrew it is, ‘He caused to meet in him the iniquities of us all.’ He was made the great ocean, into which the guilt of all our sins did run. ...

For more, see Thomas Goodwin on Christ and the penitential psalms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back