Thomas Charles on the folly of spiritual gossip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Fruitless complaints, complaints of themselves and of their condition, is the sum and substance of their religion. If they can conjure up doubts respecting themselves, and form desponding complaints of their uncomfortable condition, they fancy that they have done their duty. I have myself known several who have spent a good part of their time in such spiritual gossiping, — I know not what else to call it, in going up and down from one to another with their melancholy complaints and objections. But such conduct is utterly contrary to the life of faith.

Had they spent half this time in pouring out their complaints before the Lord, or employed it in doing good to others, they would have been long ago fat and well liking, thriving daily in holiness, and comfort, life and joy. I say not but that it is good, in our soul’s concerns and spiritual difficulties, to apply to them who are furnished with the tongue of the learned, and who know how to speak a word in season to the weary: but what I say is, that for persons to fill their minds with their own complaints and objections, without endeavouring to mix with faith and practice what is spoken for their relief, and to go on still in their own slothful and obstinate way, that this is of no sort of use or advantage, but I fear of much real hurt to the soul. ...

For more, see Thomas Charles on the folly of spiritual gossip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back