Thomas Chalmers upon reading Matt 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim Standard

Puritan Board Sophomore
Such a beautiful quote:

Give me the docility of a little child, O God, and teach me to sit at the lessons of Thy Bible with the humility of a scholar who feels that he has all to learn. And O save me from blood-guiltiness.

Give me an awful respect for the purity and principle of Thy little ones, which rather than violate, let me crucify the strongest of my beliefs, and practice a self-denial the most vigilant and severe.

Let me wound not the consciences of those for whom the Saviour died. He came for the express purposes of their recovery; and it is not God’s will that any of these little ones should perish.

And, O Lord, let me seek peace as well as holiness. As much as lies in me to live peaceably with all men, not suffering sin upon my brother, but in anywise telling him where he may have offended.

And O what a motive to the preservation of cordiality and good agreement among Christians in the encouragement given to social prayer.

Let me cultivate the habit of Christian fellowship, O God, and guide me to the most effectual way of making good its blessings both for myself and others also.

What a splendid parable closes this chapter in behalf of forgiveness. What an indefiniteness is given to the duty, and how largely does our Saviour extend it. How closely is this duty related to tenure of our holding upon God. What a mighty debt has been canceled to those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Even as God hath forgiven us, we should forgive each other.—O Lord enable me to forgive from the heart, knowing that faith is vain unless it is followed up. Give me to drink in the whole spirit of this noble passage, where the most peculiar of all the Gospel duties is made to rest upon the most peculiar of its doctrines.
Thomas Chalmers.

Ben, do you have the companion volume of reflections on the historical portions of the OT? If not, I'd like to give you a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back