Thomas Boston on warm affections in prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
To praying aright is required light and warmth, a light of the mind, and warmth of affections; the former for the matter, the latter for the manner. And it is a false light and warmth that makes some natural men think that sometimes they pray aright, Isa. lxiii. 2. But all genuine light, and vital warmth comes from the Spirit, Eph. i. 17, 18; 2 Tim. i. 7.

Hence the emblem of the virtue of the Holy Spirit was “cloven tongues, like as of fire,” Acts ii. 3, 4. And the effect thereof is someway compared with that of drunkenness (which excuses it no more than Christ’s being compared to a thief excuses stealing, Rev. xvi. 15); for as the liquor being received to excess, influences the man, so that things come in his head which otherwise would not, and the affections and passions are wrought up by it, Prov. xxiii. 33, so the Spirit indwelling and influencing, presents to the mind matter of prayer, and works up the affections suitable thereto, Eph. v. 18, 19, Cant. vii. 9.

For the reference, see Thomas Boston on warm affections in prayer.

Thinking on false warmth in particular... When you're well-versed in Scripture, it's easy enough to come up with enough matter for prayer. The Pharisees probably had no trouble with it. I imagine that they knew how to cite Scriptures ad infinitum when they prayed, but still Christ called their prayers a form of babbling. Loading our prayers with Scripture without true feeling just becomes another form of vain repetition.

But engaging the heart, truly praying from the heart, with affectedness from the things you are saying, that's always the hard work. Sometimes it feels like priming a pump, cranking with little or nothing emerging, until you finally get the gush of Spirit-given liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back