Thomas Boston on God’s acceptance of the will for the deed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The below-linked blog-post is a very long one but I have provided a brief preview extract in this post, though it is worth reading the whole extract in full if you get the chance:

... II. Why does God accept such will for the deed?

1. The sincere will to a work is present, which God mainly regards. The person sincerely aims at doing such a piece of service for God, but not attaining what he really desires, his good will thereto being present before the Lord, it is accepted, as if the work had been done.

2. We have a merciful High Priest to present that will for acceptance, notwithstanding all the weaknesses, blemishes, providential hindrances, want of opportunity, and failure of success, that it may be attended with, Heb. iv. 15, 16.

3. We have a merciful Father to deal with, Psalm ciii. 13, 14, who pities the weaknesses and infirmities of his people, and graciously accepts of their upright designs to serve and honour him. ...

For more, see Thomas Boston on God’s acceptance of the will for the deed.

3. We have a merciful Father to deal with, Psalm ciii. 13, 14, who pities the weaknesses and infirmities of his people, and graciously accepts of their upright designs to serve and honour him. ...

This is indeed a good word, my friend. I find then a law in myself that often when I would do good, I'm unable to perform the good that I would, and sometimes do the evil that I would not. What a blessed God we have to accept the will for the deed for there is nothing in my life that I want more than to glorify the God who loves me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back