This'll Make your Knees go Weak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
Note: main video is after brief advertisement

[video=youtube;vQzPB7RkFKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQzPB7RkFKA#t=23s[/video]

Barring the fatigue from climbing so much to get up there, you're no more likely to fall from 1700 feet than from 17.
It looks like with a better camera we could have gotten some beautiful views.

Barring the fatigue from climbing so much to get up there, you're no more likely to fall from 1700 feet than from 17.
It looks like with a better camera we could have gotten some beautiful views.

True enough. However, the results would likely be quite a bit different. As they say, it 's not the fall that's the problem, it's the sudden stop!

There could be; but I don't suppose that watching a revolver spin provides any of the joy of vertical ascent.

There could be; but I don't suppose that watching a revolver spin provides any of the joy of vertical ascent.

You don't think the (hopefully) vertical ascent is part of the intended thrill when that thing spins?

I can honestly say I could NEVER do that job. I hope those men make huge piles of money for doing that!

AT 5:25 there is a safety line deployed

Right, but at times they climb without a safety line.

I don't mind heights, but taking the first step back down from the top part of the tower would do me in. It's always the first step down that is the hardest for me.

While I was in my early twenties I worked for a company that built and maintained radio towers in Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado.
Everyday was terrifying to say the least. It was never fun. The highest for me was 325ft.

I had one account when I was climbing down and a 75 mile an hour gust of wind almost blew me off. I was hanging by an arm.
A week later, we met another crew and found out they made about 20 more dollars an hour for doing what we do. That was
enough for me. I did look like Popeye for a while....not the pipe..nor the nose...but the forearms.

Oh and your body naturally will start to shake after 20 feet of climbing. Now, all I can say is, I did that....although I was scared
every single time and would rather wash dishes. ha!

I'm not sure what amount of money it would take to get me to do that but it would have to be substantial! :wow:

I would have loved that job when I was a bit younger. Stamina has dropped at 51, but heights don't bother me at all. I love the views. I've always been a monkey, and operated a chimney sweep business for many years. I'm with Ruben, if you're not afraid at 17", why be afraid at 1700'? I know the wind's got to get rough up there sometimes, though. That's when you take a break and hold on tight. The key is being methodical and careful, and have an eye for contingencies in case things get funny. I wish I'd taken pictures of all the views I've had the pleasure to behold.

Chimney sweeps say autumn, never fall. My company policy was that if you fell, that was an official notice of resignation, effective before you hit the ground. I've only fallen off a ladder once, last May, ladder feet slipped on a Trex deck. I grabbed the gutter and dropped 4' and rolled. It was my friend's ladder, a painter who'd asked me to take a look at a customer's roof leak. I blame his chintzy ladder. Leapt to my feet and thanked the Lord that He bore me up in my foolishness. Other than embarassment, I was unharmed, but it gave me pause. I'm more careful these days. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Yikes! that made me feel sick! I can't even look out from tall buildings or go close to railings high up :eek:. Not good with heights.

That was a serious rush just watching the video, I cant imagine what it must be like to be up there

It's weird. I don't so much have a fear of heights as I do a fear of falling. I can watch videos like that just fine, I can look out windows hundreds of feet in the air, no problem. If I'm on a ladder more than two stories high or leaning over the edge of a rooftop that's several stories high where there's actually a possibility that I might fall (or be pushed), I start to feel the adrenaline.

It's weird. I don't so much have a fear of heights as I do a fear of falling. I can watch videos like that just fine, I can look out windows hundreds of feet in the air, no problem. If I'm on a ladder more than two stories high or leaning over the edge of a rooftop that's several stories high where there's actually a possibility that I might fall (or be pushed), I start to feel the adrenaline.

That's not weird - it's totally rational!

That's not weird - it's totally rational!

Which is weird, because I'm not usually totally rational. :D

Jonathan I too don't so much have a fear of heights as I do a fear of falling and I agree with Phil it is not weird and it is rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back