This is scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
bp4470.jpg

Jason perfects his craft by reading books on the subject like these "“ A complete Guide to Magic and Rituals and Practical Candle Burning Rituals.
by Melissa Wickham

AT AGE 11, he cast his first spell. Now at 18 years old, Jason (not his real name) professes to be a practising witch.

It is the latest craze among teenagers not only in the United States and Europe but also right here in Barbados. Jason is just one of a growing number of youngsters who has rejected Christianity and is embracing witchcraft as a way of life.

They cast spells to pass exams, predict the future by communicating with the spirit world and even place curses on others. If you think your son or daughter could never be one of them, think again.

Most of the teenagers in Jason's circle of friends have parents who are devout Christians and who have no idea of what they're up to.

Jason, a student of the Barbados Community College gave the SUNDAY SUN a glimpse into his world of spells, rituals and divination.

It started when he was eight years old. He recalled seeing the spirit of his paternal grandmother who had been dead for a number of years. And, at age 17, he predicted the death of his other grandmother. Soon after, she died.

From there, he got curious about the supernatural, researched it on the Internet, read books and chatted with other practitioners around the world. Now, he's well versed in the teachings of witchcraft.

His gifts or abilities, he says, are in the realm of dreams, premonitions and empathy "“ the ability to take on how others around him are feeling.

Jason's parents are Christian-minded and aren't pleased in the least about his chosen path. However, he said they didn't interfere even though they objected.

He grew up in a Methodist family but when he attended church he said he felt nothing. It was only when he tapped into the supernatural that he felt "connected".

"To me there is less judgment in witchcraft and more acceptance and freedom than in Christianity. I see it as a tyrant religion. I feel more of a connection to witchcraft than Christianity. I would sit in church and just be there because I was sent there," he said.

While he believes in God and Jesus, it is not in the same way Christians believe.

"I believe there is a spirit for everything in this world. I also believe that smaller spirits or angels are responsible for different things.

"I don't believe in the devil as in giving him that much power, or acknowledging him. A great misconception is that witches worship the devil; in fact, that was why many of them were killed in the past," said Jason, adding:

"Witchcraft is nature-based. It is a form of spirituality. It is about the love of nature, being solely confident and using your own will to get things or make things happen. It is working with energy. The whole world is energy "“ trees are energy, flowers and human beings are energy."

But this "energy" which he classifies as white magic also has a dark side. A side he crossed over to in the past, though he stays clear of it now.

"When I was 11, I was just getting into it. I gathered my cousins and instructed them to stand in a circle. I didn't know anything really but I had seen it in a movie called The Craft and I repeated something I heard from it.

"There was this boy our age who lived next door and I didn't like him much, so I got a needle and made them prick their fingers, smeared the blood on a piece of paper and, in my mind, I visualised him being punished in some way.

"In the evening, he was out on his bike, he fell off, landed on some 'galvanise' and cut himself up badly. I stopped because I didn't really want to harm or kill anyone," he recounted.

There was also another time when he placed a hex on a bully at his secondary school using what those in the world of witchcraft would call "the evil eye", where a witch just looks upon someone and curses them in that moment.

However, he only does this if he's really angry with someone to the point where he wants to physically beat that person. Instead of carrying out the action, he uses the same energy to put a curse on the individual.

"Persons I've tried hexing have either ended up being sick or harmed.

"The guy who was harassing me at school, my best friend and I placed a hex on him just by looking at him (the evil eye). He became ill for about a week," he disclosed.

There were no set rules as to how long a hex would last, he said.

One, however, must be careful. According to Jason, there is a law or rule in witchcraft which states that if you harm anyone without justification, then you can expect it to come back to you three-fold.

But besides bringing harm, he said he could also use his craft to heal people of sickness and disease. He can use dolls like those used in voodoo to heal different parts of the body.

"Persons who practise witchcraft aren't necessarily evil or dark. It has to do with intent. A person can be either good or bad. Some Christians can be good or bad too. They can pray to God to strike down someone for some reason, for example," he said.

The young witch uses a number of aids in his craft. They can range from tarot cards for practising divination or candles for use in candle magic, (using candles in rituals and spells).

A red candle, for instance, is used for bringing about passion or romance while white is for purity, black symbolises evil, loss or discord while a greenish-yellow candle can invoke sickness, cowardice, anger or jealously.

Though he owns one, he shies away from ouija boards and pointed out that he didn't sacrifice animals nor do seances in any of his rituals.

"I believe the dead should be left alone," he said.

Though Jason works alone, there are more like him throughout the island, he says. They sit in classrooms in secondary and tertiary institutions.

"There are a good few young people I've met both here in Barbados and abroad who are into witchcraft.

"Those from overseas, I communicate with them online. The ones here, I've met at college. I've heard of others at the University of the West Indies," he said.

And, witchcraft can be used to help them succeed in examinations.

"There are spells to pass exams but when you cast them you still have to make an effort. It is just not a case of hocus-pocus," he pointed out.

Some youngsters like Jason are bold, they have no problem talking about their craft, while others prefer to practise in secret.

And, there is a rule "“ a witch never points out another witch. They usually know each other from wearing symbols like the pentacle "“ a five-point star with circle. It represents earth, water, fire, spirit and air and is a popular symbol of witchcraft.

Not everyone is accepting of what he does. He found this out on the first day at college.

"I introduced myself as a practising witch. The classroom got silent and all the students pulled their chairs away from me. But, as they got to know me and not just what I practise, it doesn't matter," he said, boasting that some of his friends are Christians.

Jason intends to keep on developing his craft. He believes there is no one right path or religion; and only God can judge him in the end.

However, Pastor Wesley Dear of Covenant Life Teaching Centre, Green Hill, St Michael, said Jason and teenagers like him were playing with fire.

The Bible clearly spoke out against witchcraft and its consequences, he said.

"There is no doubt that people can get results from these types of practices but to their own detriment," the pastor said, adding: "Anyone who seeks out the occult for answers, brings a curse upon their lives, their household and their seed for generations."

He quoted scripture to back up his stance, particuarly Deuteronomy 18:10-12 which states:

"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells or who is a medium or spiritist who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord . . ."

Father Clement Paul, Vicar-General of the Roman Catholic Church, said anyone who associated with dark or supernatural powers could bring harm to themselves.

"They are interfering in a world that we don't know much about and therefore a lot of damage can be done to one's mental balance in the long run," he said.

Father Paul said the Church had failed if young people saw Christianity as a tyrannical religion and were turning to witchcraft for answers.

"I think Christianity needs to get out there and listen to people. We need to get into the schools, colleges and any other place where it (witchcraft) exists, hear the problems of young people and find out what leads them into witchcraft."

"He grew up in a Methodist family but when he attended church he said he felt nothing. It was only when he tapped into the supernatural that he felt "connected"."
Makes me wonder if he would have turned out different if he had been raised in a Charismatic church where they excel in excitement.

But we shouldn't do the same today, right? Because we're under the Law of Christ not Moses, right? Because God disagrees with Himself, right?

*rolls eyes*

We would preach the gospel of faith and repentance to such a one and leave them to the grace and mercy of God. No stones needed; rather a certain judgment for those who do not repent.

Exo 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Matthew Henry:

II. A law which makes witchcraft a capital crime, Exo_22:18. Witchcraft not only gives that honour to the devil which is due to God alone, but bids defiance to the divine Providence, wages war with God's government, and puts his work into the devil's hand, expecting him to do good and evil, and so making him indeed the god of this world; justly therefore was it punished with death, especially among a people that were blessed with a divine revelation, and cared for by divine Providence above any people under the sun. By our law, consulting, covenanting with, invocating, or employing, any evil spirit, to any intent whatsoever, and exercising any enchantment, charm, or sorcery, whereby hurt shall be done to any person whatsoever, is made felony, without benefit of clergy; also pretending to tell where goods lost or stolen may be found, or the like, is an iniquity punishable by the judge, and the second offence with death. The justice of our law herein is supported by the law of God recorded here.

Originally posted by poimen
We would preach the gospel of faith and repentance to such a one and leave them to the grace and mercy of God. No stones needed; rather a certain judgment for those who do not repent.

:handshake: If the "we" referred to is individual Christians and the church.

Originally posted by crhoades

No to all, whether they be in the church or outside of the church. Those who died in the Old Testament because of their sins were inside or members of the church but in the New Covenant we await the time of judgment, testifying to its coming through the act of excommunication.

Luke 9:54-56 "And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?" But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. "For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them." And they went to another village."

:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

No to all, whether they be in the church or outside of the church. Those who died in the Old Testament because of their sins were inside or members of the church but in the New Covenant we await the time of judgment, testifying to its coming through the act of excommunication.

Luke 9:54-56 "And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?" But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. "For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them." And they went to another village."

Is capital punishment wrong for a serial rapist/murder? If so, why?

Does the state no longer have the sword to wield? I find it odd that non-theonomists point out to theonomists that the state, not the church, wields the sword but when it gets down to it, many forbid the state to wield the sword.

William Perkins (1558-1602) argued in the same vein. Perkins was one of the formative thinkers of the Puritan movement. Perkins' discussion of witchcraft brings out his view of the Mosaic judicials. Thomas Pickering, a contemporary of Perkins, summarized his view thusly: "That the witch truly convicted is to be punished with death, the highest degree of punishment, and that by the law of Moses, the equity whereof is perpetual." [42] Perkins specifically noted that not only evil witches but also good witches were to be executed under Moses' law, because the essence of the antisorcery law was not directed against those who harm others but against those in pact with Satan. [43]

[42] Rossell H. Robbins, Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology (New York: Crown, 1959), p. 382, emphasis added.

[43] William Perkins, A Discourse on the Damned Art of Witchcraft, in John Chandos, ed., In God's Name (New York: Bobbs-Merrill, 197 1), p. 13 5.

An Historical Survey
JAMES B. JORDAN
http://www.reformed.org/ethics/index.html?mainframe=Jordan_judicial_laws_Moses.html

Originally posted by Draught Horse

Is capital punishment wrong for a serial rapist/murder? If so, why?

Not this again! :)

No, not if the state thought that it would be a sufficient punishment.

Very well. What is the criteria for a state to consider the punishment sufficient?

Technically speaking, does the state need a criteria? After all, it was Paul who said that we are to submit to the higher powers in the day of Nero?

Originally posted by Michael Butterfield
Very well. What is the criteria for a state to consider the punishment sufficient?

Technically speaking, does the state need a criteria? After all, it was Paul who said that we are to submit to the higher powers in the day of Nero?

I am floored by your answer. Even secularists like Jefferson would not have made such a statement.

If the State decides to murder innocent individuals wihtout due process of law, then according to your statement there is no problem with that.

If the State decides on mandatory confiscation of women and selling them as sex slaves, then according to your statement there is no problem with that.

If the State decides to break its own laws to further its own agendas, then according to your statement that is just fine and dandy.

Romans 13: Let every person be subject to the governing authorities

Does Caesar fall into the category of "person?" If so, what law does he submit to? I have demonstrated on other threads that the State does not have a blank check for tyranny.

But back to the original question: When is punishment criminal?

:ditto:

Robin

Does the state no longer have the sword to wield? I find it odd that non-theonomists point out to theonomists that the state, not the church, wields the sword but when it gets down to it, many forbid the state to wield the sword.

Whoa there, Jacob! All we're noting is that the State doesn't use a sword on religious practice - even pagan ones. Thank God, for that! So far, we are all free to pursue the worship of our own choice - which is very good for Christians.

The State shouldn't step-in unless the religious practice (in this case, Wicca) incites a violation of State Law: murder; bodily harm or theft, Etc. (As long as Mr. Witch keeps his spell making to himself and does not violate anothers civil freedom.) Can you imagine what havoc would ensue if these distinctions were not there?

I'm curious as to why those insisting God's Law be blended with State Law in this present evil age - never seem to want to face the fact that Paul issued Romans 13 in the midst of one of the most dangerous and perverse epoch's in human history.

Polite curtsy ;)

r.

I'm not going to get a serious response. I launched a reductio ad absurdum and to even answer it shows the instability of the position.

Well, when is punishment criminal? Why not stand with Samuel Rutherford in Lex Rex and state:

1)Only God can determine what is right and what is wrong.
2)Only God can determine the punishments for criminal behavior.

Anybody want to refute Rutherford?

What is the New Testament perspective on penalogy?
"Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. 2 For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, " (Hebrews 2)

[Edited on 6--28-05 by Draught Horse]

Originally posted by Robin

Whoa there, Jacob! All we're noting is that the State doesn't use a sword on religious practice - even pagan ones. Thank God, for that! So far, we are all free to pursue the worship of our own choice - which is very good for Christians.

r.

For pluralism to work, certain values must be imposed on those who in some way do not share those values. Should fringe Satanic cults who practice human sacrifice be protected? If the pluralists answers no he denies his own position.

See my last post on this thread to show that pluralism, to be a serious form of government, must impose (arbitrary) religious values and judgments on a society. But in doing so, it refutes the very nature of pluralism.

Let's flesh this out a bit:

I have written elsewhere on this board (see the Constitution thread):

God told me to defend my family and if I were a lesser magistrate, as in the case of Jeb Bush, and saw my people (Terry Schiavo) being terrorized by the Lord High State, I would defend them to the death. Very easily put: God commands us to defend our families (Preserving life at all costs).

Let's take the argument a step further: Suppose the government--I typed a Braveheartish scene a few months ago on this very issue--tried to kill my family. Do I have the right to resist the government with violence? Just because he has a badge, does it mean that he can rape my wife? Or perhaps I am a criminal and deserved to be punished. But that begs the question: When is punishment criminal? By what standard can they know this? Ah, but let's continue the thought...
When Crime is not viewed as an offense against the moral order of God, it becomes viewed as an offense against the arbitrary power of the state. If no higher law is adhere to, then the law of man is absolute; there is no logical barrier to stop such a state from becoming totalitarian. When the state's will is susbstited for God's will, then the only real cimes become crimes against the State. Men die for resisting the arbitrary will of the State, then, and not for crimes against a holy God. There is no appeal beyond the State and its rulers when God's law is pust aside. MAN HAS NO REALM OF JUSTICE TO WHICH HE HAS RECOUSE IN OPPOSING THE WILL OF THE STATE.

The point: There is a limit to the state's authority. For a good debate on this see Dr Bahnsen Lay the Beat-down on Dr Atwood concerning gun-control and statism.

When I heard Bahnsen speak thoughts similar to the above paragraph I was literally floored and had chill bumps all over my body. One thought was going through my mind the whole time, "Sic Semper Tyrannus!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back