This has been one of the joys - Finding obscure Puritans

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
This has been one of the joys of researching the internet for the past year to collect as many EEBO-TCP works from Reformed Puritan and Non-Conformists as I can. The number of those found sits at 780 right now. But it really has been like a treasure hunt, seeing what is out there waiting to be uncovered. Like today, I only have 4 pages of names out of 31 left from my Calamy list (from Memorial) but by deciding to go over it, even though it was a little extra work, I have so far, uncovered 70 authors that I didnt previously have. For instance; within our little Puritan community, I havent heard the name of Faithful Teate; though, after looking, he seems to have been a Puritan minister in Ireland. According to one source, he was a poet, and also wrote an excellent work entitled "Ter Tria," The Doctrine of the Three Sacred Persons." Uncovering these gems have been a joy; that is only going to be replaced by getting them into the index and looking within the works to find the true treasures.

Ter Tria (1658) by the Cavan-born, Puritan poet Faithful Teate (c.1626â??66) is a neglected masterpiece and a remarkable addition to the canon of 17th-century devotional verse in English. Structured around the Holy Trinity and spanning nine parts, Ter Tria (meaning 3 x 3) reworks the Biblical narratives of the Fall, and the life and death of Christ in language that is striking in its playfulness and energy. In addition, Ter Tria provides fascinating evidence of the way in which the language of religious poetry of the 17th century was deeply invested in politics: the poem is as much aòcomment on the turbulent political backdrop of Teateâ??s youth in Ireland as it is an act of pious worship. Ter Tria is sure to appeal to anyone with an interest in devotional verse or in the literature and politics of 17th-century Ireland.
(Angelina Lynch - Google Books)

teate.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back