This Explains an Awful Lot of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
This from the evening's reading in Sibbes, from his sermon, "The Saint's Safety in Evil Times" [Works, i.322]:

"...Partial obedience is indeed no obedience at all ; for he that obeys one, and not another, obeys not simply because of the commander, to yield obedience unto him ; but only to satisfy his own corrupt nature, picking and choosing what pleases himself, which belongs not to an inferior, but to a superior to do. And therefore, such make themselves gods, in that they single out easy things that do not oppose their lusts, which are not against their reputation, &c., and therein perhaps they will supererogate, and do more than they need, only because they will have a compensation from God, that he should quit with them for other things. 'I have done that, and therefore he must bear with me in this.' Oh! but there is no compensation here...."

Liberalism is a pick and choose religion. Modernists make themselves gods, picking and choosing what they will believe out of God's Word, as if they were superior to the LORD Himself. They single out easy things that do not oppose their lusts, and especially those things which promote their reputation. They will even do these things to excess, for theirs is a religion of works.

No, and in fact I started to add, "Lord, deliver me from this same spirit and practice, from this same temptation."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back