Thinking of getting this motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
VTX1800C1_Black_Flame.jpg

Honda VTX 1800C

It releases to the market this March so I have time to think and SAVE. Any thoughts?

Yes ...get a Harley, it will have a better seat for your wife.

:cool:

(just my opinion on brand having grown up on one....EGAD that reminds me the hog was the only thing I liked about the step monster..er...a.. I mean father.....;)

Man Adam, you sure are living lavish these days. Didn't you just buy a crossfire? Now a Harley. Dude, let me get a loan.:lol:

O I see what's going on now. You went back to being a dispie didn't you?

You figure you can buy all the stuff you want and not have to worry about paying it back because you'll be raptured in a few years.:lol::lol:

:lol:

It's a HONDA not a Harley. I want a Harley but they are over rpiced in my opinion and this model is rated higher than the low end Harley and has more features.

Originally posted by houseparent

It's a HONDA not a Harley. I want a Harley but they are over rpiced in my opinion and this model is rated higher than the low end Harley and has more features.

But what about the seat for your wife? :cool:

Honda VTX 1800C

It releases to the market this March so I have time to think and SAVE. Any thoughts?

Depends on what sort of riding you want to do.

- Single or two up.
- Around town or distance.
- Work or pleasure.

The 1800 is nice and powerful, but it is not a touring bike or made for two people for any distance.

I'm a Honda guy. I've owned four. Reliability and low maintenance are key features for me.

When I got back into riding a few years ago I started off with a cruiser (VT750), and for comfort and power reasons moved up to a GL1800 within a year. (Although I kept the VT750 for work and fun.) I looked at the VTX1300 and 1800 when they first came out. For the price differential, I think the 1300 is a better deal. My cousin has one and he loves it. Took it from PA to Laconia last year.

Personally, I like the comfort of the Gold Wing. My wife and I rode from PA to Key West last year for our 30th anniversay. 3200+ miles. Couldn't have done it on a cruiser.

The longest trip I would ever make on it would be 100 miles. For the most part it's just a second "back up" vehicle for me when my wife takes the car for the day when we are off duty.

At the hospital where my wife works, they do not call them motorcycles. They call them "donor mobiles."

Originally posted by pastorway
At the hospital where my wife works, they do not call them motorcycles. They call them "donor mobiles."

LOL

I am not an idiot. I know most cars on the road don't respect motorcycle drivers, I do NOT drive fast on a cycle, to me they are to cruise around on enjoying the ride. I will seldomly ride on a highway or bad road conditions.

That's why I want a "cruiser" to cruise on leisurely as I stay very aware of the disrespectful drivers who unfairly label every motorcycle driver as a no good punk gang member.

You will get a least two good days from a bike, the day you buy and the day you sell.:lol:

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by Swampguy]

I wouldn't buy it. That's just me.

Insure and finance it?

Seems like an expensive "extra" ride...why not purchase a used car? Or heck, even just rent a car when you happen to need an extra car for a day or two?

It's fun to think about buying a bike, though.

I have Erie insurance so I ould hope it wouldn't be that much. And I would have to drive 15 miles to rent a car. A used car is possible but I would much prefer a bike.

Originally posted by Craig
I wouldn't buy it. That's just me.

Insure and finance it?

Seems like an expensive "extra" ride...why not purchase a used car? Or heck, even just rent a car when you happen to need an extra car for a day or two?

It's fun to think about buying a bike, though.

The insurance on my VT750 is $150 per year including collision and comprehensive with reasonable deductibles. My Gold Wing is around $600. Gas mileage? Between 40 and 60 depending on which bike and the type of riding. Once you get past the initial cost they are fairly reasonable. Of course in PA you cannot jump on the bike every day and go. But I did get to ride to work a few days around Christmas when the sun was out and the temp wasn't mind numbingly cold.

And there is no doubt that on a warm summer evening with the wife on the back cruising the back roads of PA, well, it just doesn't get much better in this life.

gl1800_black.jpg

One word.... Can you spell CRIPPLED. I was hit from behind (on purpose) and wrecked on my way to church one day. I had a few other incidents aslo. Final blow took my left leg. I have been told I am very lucky to have it. Had I been taken to any other hospital I would have lost it. The trama team I was taken to puts the Indy 500 racers back together. I requested to go to another hospital but the paramedic team overroad my decision. The short trips are the killers.

Why should you die before your time. :tombstone:

That aside... I wish I could afford one. Not sure I would ride much but the wind in your hair sure is edifying.

No we are not saying that. We are just saying don't play that Russian gun game. Why should you die before your time, providentially.

Even though I have driven them before I would take lessons including the State sponsored one where you get your liscense at the end of the class.

Adam, That IS a sa-weeet bike...however, I'm kinda in the boat determined never to get on one. How about a big truck??? Those can be quite a toy also. (sil and I had to call the guys in from hitting snowdrifts this past month...they would go out and play with bil's new truck).

They may be over priced, but you will get more money back out of it if you ever have to sell it. I really like Hondas. Definitely the best import on the market. If you're a fan of the traditional V-twin sound(potato-potato) Don't buy the 1800. Buy the 1300. They are built with the same style engine as a Harley. single pin crank(1300) vs. dual pin crank (1800). The 1800 has a very smooth sound more like a lawn- mowerish sound, with the right pipes, you can achieve a nice volume, bit that's it. The 1300 has the single pin crank, very Harleyish, to the untrained ear it's very hard to tell the difference. With that aside, the 1300 is a good deal lighter, and therefore handles A LOT better, and with the money you save, you can add a nice set of pipes and a few other add ons.

JMO

Jayson

In all honesty I don't care too much about the sound. I like the look of this bike. But the one you're talking about is cheaper??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back