Things in the works for Naphtali Press, CPJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Things in the works. 2013: CPJ: The Confessional Presbyterian journal vol. 9, mini theme Thornwell and Southern Presbyterianism. Naphtali Press: George Gillespie, English Popish Ceremonies, significantly revised edition over mine of 1993 (so 20 years since, and will be the 400th anniversary of G’s birth). While the work is available in old editions, this ultimate revised edition has a huge amount of expansion via notes, corrections, Errata of all editions, tracing of all references (1000+ fnotes), etc. One of the most significant works covering Reformed worship principles, albeit garbed in a 17th century polemical work; the principals elucidated remain very important to issues of our day. This is such an important work; taking a second swing at doing it justice. I hope to offer a prepub later this year; just lacks one intro and it will go to press. After that: James Durham on Revelation, Durham’s collected sermons, the Westminster Assembly’s Grand Debate (i.e. their papers on Congregationalism vs. Presbyterianism), and more maybe, in no certain order, and all D.V.
GGillespieEPC.jpg

Sounds great, keep up the great work brother. Have you ever considered getting Samuel Rutherfords Calvinist writings that are in Latin Translated & Published into English

Be nice; but it would be the work of one translator's life to do so; and probably more than one. Guy Richard has done some selections from Rutherford's class lectures against Arminianism; but it is a drop in the bucket from that large folio work. What needs doing, is first to get R's English works all reissued in critical editions, but I doubt that will happen, and certainly not in a nice set, with the advent of the eBook.

I should add, if you own a copy of the Naphtali edition of the sermons of Rutherford, Gillespie, Henderson and Baillie, the EPC will be similarly produced, including a color frontispiece. The portrait is now looked after by the National Gallery of Scotland but I got permission to reproduce form the successor church to the Old Kirkaldy kirk where G is buried. After an expansion the church sits over the grave but there is a memorial stone affixed to the church wall put there by a grandson. There was some doubt the church building would survive after it was sold by the CoS, but an organization took it over and it has been spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back