They Do More for Their gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Jeremiah Burroughs (The Saints Treasury, p. 11):

[O]bserve how the Scripture sets out the spirits of men after their Idoll gods, in regard of the cost they are willing to bestow upon them. Isa. 46:6. They shall lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the ballance, and hire a goldsmith, and he maketh it a god. They care not what cost they are at to worship their Idols. O what a shame would it be if we should not be willing to part with much of our estates for the true worship of the true God: and though we should lose our estates, yet if we can serve God better, and in a purer way, we should be content; for Idolaters will lavish gold out of the bag upon their Idols. Now there is none like to our God; therefore it is a shame that they should doe more for their gods then we doe for ours. And then what are Idolaters willing to suffer for their gods? 1 Kings 18:28 how did Baals Priests there cut themselves after their manner, with Knives and Lancers, till the blood gushed out, to shew their respect to their Idols! let us then be willing to suffer any thing that God calls us to. And how constant were they to their Idols! therefore sayes God, Jer. 2:10, 11. Consider diligently and see, if there be such a thing: hath a Nation changed their gods which are yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit; how ill doth God take this that Idolaters should not change their gods that are infinitely below him, and yet that his people should change their God who is infinitely above them?​

Excellent word, Josh. I was just thinking about this today as I prepare to preach from Judges 6 tomorrow. Gideon destroyed the altar of Baal, and in response the people wanted to kill him and later the Midianites came against Israel because of this desecration of their idol. We see exactly the same thing today as those who follow false gods are quick to defend their god and quick to sacrifice to their god, and yet God's people are silent in the face of constant blasphemy and are so slow to sacrifice anything to the true and living God. May God change our hearts.

Indeed. I often observe the obsession and dedication folks put into, say, sports teams, or others, their favorite TV shows, and wonder, "What if we were to pour such zeal [with knowledge] into our pursuit of God, according to His will and counsel?" It simply goes to show the natural and robust idol factory my heart is.

Bill:

I've been thinking about the appropriate reaction of the faithful to God when blasphemy occurs in their presence.

What should a Christian say or do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill:

I've been thinking about the appropriate reaction of the faithful to God when blasphemy occurs in their presence.

What should a Christian say or do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I don't think we need to start a jihad over it, but we should at the very least be upset. Even better, we should speak up in defense of God's name.

Well, I don't think we need to start a jihad over it, but we should at the very least be upset. Even better, we should speak up in defense of God's name.

Whenever I deal with an atheist or someone who is angry at all religion and they blaspheme or make fun of Christ, etc., I'm unsure of what to say.

On the one hand, I don't want to do the typical "Hey, I believe that's God you're talking about right there!" because that makes it seem like I'm upset about their refusal to respect my own relative truth.

On the other, I can't help but feel like God would want us to say something more direct, like "Jesus is God, and you shouldn't mock him," which obviously could lead the situation to a grievous escalation.

Then again, I also see it as an opportunity to witness. "I used to joke around like that too, but when I finally sat down to try and understand what I was mocking, I realized I was making a big mistake."

Sometimes a steady, low-voiced rebuke is all that's needed. I've been known to look a mocking colleague in the eye and say simply, "it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

So far it has resulted in a "Sorry" and a quick change of subject.

This is great. I'm going to remember that. Thank you. Once a man said to me in a discussion about lifestyles, "I'm an atheist." I replied, "I'm sorry." He just rolled his eyes and changed the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back