Thesis Topic Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravey

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi all,
I'm in my first year of an Mdiv (apologetics major @ VES) and am keen to start thinking about my masters thesis. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for an interesting thesis topic relating to Apologetics / Philosophy of Religion? Are there particular areas that seem to be unaddressed / have little written about them?

• Presuppositionalism & textual criticism;
  • Embarrassing mistakes made by theologian who adopted the current scientific consensus as indisputable fact;
  • Warfield vs. Bavinck on the role of apologetics;
  • Reformed critique of Eastern Orthodoxy;

Those all seem interesting to me, at any rate.

Constraints are: 60,000 words, Turabian format. Other than that I've just got to present it to the faculty, get a supervisor and go with it...That's a little down the way yet, just interested in getting the ball rolling so I won't be jamming it all into my final year

As far as my interestes - I'm very interested in moral philosophy, ethics, and the metaphysical presuppositions of naturalism. I've also thought that a thorougher study on the philosophy of King Solomon and how it relates to where society is at today would be interesting...

Well, the objective morality argument certainly could use more study by the church militant. Given that once a person believes that there is such a thing as objective reality and that there are such things objective truths, then that person has posited a metaphysical claim--namely that the correspondence theory of truth is an adequate test for truth. Then the question becomes, which worldview can adequately appropriate and support such a belief? Is it a matter of who has the best explanation and not who can prove it objectively?

As far as my interestes - I'm very interested in moral philosophy, ethics, and the metaphysical presuppositions of naturalism. I've also thought that a thorougher study on the philosophy of King Solomon and how it relates to where society is at today would be interesting...

Well that's pretty broad, except for King Solomon which sounds very original. What sort of thinkers do you like to read? This can help narrow you down. I, if I stayed in school, was going to write on the ethical and philosophical dilemma of WW2. Most people don't realize the connection between WW2 and postmodernism. The metaphysical presuppositions of naturalism would be nice to. I would recommend both Van Til and Alvin Plantinga.

The ethics/philosophy behind WW2 sounds interesting. As far as the thinkers I like to read, here is a list of the men who spurred my interest in philosophy: Swinburne, Plantinga, Copleston, Craig, Zacharias, Geisler, Willard, Lewis, Muggeridge, Chesterton, Sarte, Russell, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky, Kierkegaard, Kant, Descartes, Aquinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back