Theology of Pipe-Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself used to smoke a pipe for a few months early in my faith, but did it in secret because of the immaturity of my Arminian background.

Arminians put too much value on appearance, and thus add preference to Scripture.

Reformed folk, on the other hand (this being only a conjecture), can get too comfortable sometimes, if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly my impression as well; it is a form of immature triumphalism. It is almost as if these YRR-types are rubbing it in the faces of the older generation, but they forget that Christian liberty is to be used to edify your brother and build him up in love.
What is YRR?

While there may be some connection between YRR and such practices, I have liked good beer long before they were around. I drink beer and have a rare cigar not to be cool or as an over-reaction to anything, but because I like them from time to time. There is less stigma in Presbyterian circles than in more Fundamentalist groups, but many of those guys like beer, too......they just can't openly admit such....

While there may be some connection between YRR and such practices, I have liked good beer long before they were around. I drink beer and have a rare cigar not to be cool or as an over-reaction to anything, but because I like them from time to time. There is less stigma in Presbyterian circles than in more Fundamentalist groups, but many of those guys like beer, too......they just can't openly admit such....
I always enjoyed beer and a good smoke way before I was even Reformed. In my Hispanic background and culture it's normal to have a beer with your dad, uncles, and cousins at a early age like 15-16 years old.

In recent years, it seems -and I am not exempting m'self from having been temporarily caught up in it during my first years of exposure to Reformedom- that a sort of Bohemian attitude has surrounded libations, tobacco, etc. amongst reforming and Calvinistic folk. Sometimes, it appears to be a badge of identity, or even a rite of passage. The question these days is not Do you like beer? but rather -with assumption that everyone Reformed smokes, drinks, etc.- Which is your favorite beer/ tobacco/ scotch/ pistol?

Please do not misunderstand me. I enjoy a good brew, scotch, and, formerly, a bowl of pipe tobacco, on occasion. So I am not saying such things are inherently wrong (see the J.G. Vos piece referenced above). I would, however, caution folks to be careful in their indulgence of such things. And let us not stop there: This caution must apply to food, leisure, and recreations as well. It is easy to be carried away by the over-indulgence of any of these things and -when pricked in conscience, or by the faithful wounds of a friend- cry "Christian Liberty!" rather than to do the hard work of self-examination.

When the Apostle says we are to -whether we eat, drink, or whatever we do- do all things to the glory of God, He has in mind that we make use of our work, our play, our entertainments, and our rest all in such a way so as to subdue them each to the reign of Christ. For some, this may mean cutting things out altogether. For others, cutting back. Our best efforts are to be spent toward doing all the words of the Law, and all of the aforementioned (recreation, labor, rest, etc.) can be helpful means toward that end. More often than not, however, they can become hindrances to our growth. If we find that the application or misapplication of any of those actually hinders our sanctification endeavors, we must reassess their importance and or necessity.
This is very wise advice. One thing that has troubled me in recent times is the tendency to talk about christian liberty without equally talking about Christian sanctification or the problem of causing the weaker brother to stumble.

And I speak as one who enjoys the odd wine or beer.

That's kind of true, but it is definitely in Presbyterian circles as well.

If you want more information on it from a classically Reformed perspective, check out A Scottish Presbyterian Perspective on New Calvinism.
This is good. I guess I'm blessed for not falling into these movements. It's sad because I know of a elder who promotes this stuff. When I first came into studying Reformed theology a little more strictly back in the day. This elder would have weekly study's but they were pretty much based on just watching these type of conferences. i got tired of always watching the tv screen and had to stop going. We never opened a book.

I view my pipe smoking as a hobby, not a habit. I can take it or leave it. I can enjoy it to God's glory but it does not control me. In fact, I haven't smoked a pipe now for about 3 months but I just may do so this weekend!

I view my pipe smoking as a hobby, not a habit. I can take it or leave it. I can enjoy it to God's glory but it does not control me. In fact, I haven't smoked a pipe now for about 3 months but I just may do so this weekend!
Good philosophy! Long time no see.

Is that a para church thing? Or a movement?

The term "Young, Restless and Reformed" comes from an article (2006) and later a book (2008) of that title by Collin Hansen that highlighted the resurgence of Calvinism among evangelicals in the 21st Century. I'm not sure that he delved much into this issue if he brought it up at all. But switching from Baptist or Pentecostal to Reformed is often accompanied by taking up drinking and/or smoking.

With regard to the arguments over drinking and smoking, this is not just a recent "Baptist phenomenon." I can say from firsthand experience that Presbyterians reveling in being cool by drinking scotch and smoking cigars and generally congratulating themselves that they are not like those weaker Baptist teetotalers long predates the YRR phenomenon. (I think that the J.G. Vos essay referenced earlier may have been largely aimed at the abstentionists and/or prohibitionists within his own Reformed Presbyterian communion.)

Swinging from the extremes of legalism to license (i.e. taking liberty to an extreme) and sinfully judging others for partaking or not partaking is a perpetual temptation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back