Theologically sound hymns with upbeat music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of it can depend on the hymn. For example, the hymn Come Ye Sinners has a wonderful tune that, ironically, sounds a bit depressing thus, at one church I went to, the assistant pastor set it to a more joyful tune. Similarly, "Arise My Soul Arise"'s traditional melody is a bit mellow for the powerful words.

On the other hand, I have been absolutely disappointed with a modern rendition of "For All the Saints" because the old Ralph Vaughan Williams tune captured the message of the hymn so well (and, in my book, ranks with "A Mighty Fortress" as one of the great hymn/tune combinations of all time) that the mellow modern tune seemed disconsonant and not fitting for the powerful lyrics.

Again, it depends on the hymn.

I agree that both the words and the music are important. God-focused lyrics and God-honoring arrangements in a variety of genre are fine with me for general settings, but I prefer hymns for corporate worship services.

Here's a question: why aren't more theologically sound hymns paired with "upbeat" music? Why is our default mode "dour"? Yes, there are appropriate times for our songs to be slow, contemplative, even mournful . . . but there's also a time to celebrate God's grace with joy in our hearts, and our music (not just our lyrics) should reflect that joy.

Thoughts?

Is there any way to answer this statement (or the OP) without reducing oneself to subjectivism?

Also... who's dour?

Here's a question: why aren't more theologically sound hymns paired with "upbeat" music? Why is our default mode "dour"? Yes, there are appropriate times for our songs to be slow, contemplative, even mournful . . . but there's also a time to celebrate God's grace with joy in our hearts, and our music (not just our lyrics) should reflect that joy.

Thoughts?

Is there any way to answer this statement (or the OP) without reducing oneself to subjectivism?

Also... who's dour?

Well, we're kidding ourselves if we think that we can NOT be subjective when it comes to questions like this (which we'll all have in one way or another). Being subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing. What's bad is when we let the subjective outweigh the objective, and I don't think we're necessarily doing that. *shrug*

-----Added 8/4/2009 at 08:46:04 EST-----

Still waiting for those rhythms and melodies that stir up carnal desires. I want to be sure to avoid them! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back