Theologically Solid Living Authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan95

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was recommended a book called Solomon Says by Mark Horne. He seems solid. After looking at the publication date, I noticed it was this year. Then it dawned on me that I only read books by dead guys. Do any of you have any authors that you would recommend right alongside the Puritans but that are still breathing air?

Thanks!

I'm recommending this 2-Volume work by Michael Horton to anyone who will heed me:

I had reached out to Mike after I read a few books my N.T. Wright in order to understand him (since Wright is so popular in some circles and I needed to get a handle on his method).

I gave my opinion to Mike about Wright and he confirmed my thoughts about where Wright goes (well) wrong. He told me that he dealt with Wright in his two volume work. He did, and then some.

This work is incredible. It traces the dogmatic and exegetical developments on Justification from the early Church to the present. It deals with every major thinker and traces development. Mike defends the Reformed view and demonstrates how many modern theologians (aka Wright) have failed to even read the Reformers even as they opine on what they taught in order to debunk them.

As Mike told me, it's standard Reformed theology but you walk away so thankful for how rich and Biblical our doctrine of Justification is.

I'm no prophet but this work could prove to be a very important work in years to come and be the most significant contribution he has made.

I was recommended a book called Solomon Says by Mark Horne. He seems solid. After looking at the publication date, I noticed it was this year. Then it dawned on me that I only read books by dead guys. Do any of you have any authors that you would recommend right alongside the Puritans but that are still breathing air?

Thanks!

Sinclair Ferguson (his book on the Holy Spirit I'd totally recommend, and The Whole Christ), Mark Jones (Knowing Christ is fantastic), W. Robert Godfrey, R. Scott Clark, Michael Reeves, Carl Trueman, Michael Horton, Kim Riddlebarger, J. I. Packer...

I was going to include R. C. Sproul; he was alive up to 2017 if that still counts as recent enough (not strictly fulfilling your criteria, though).

In addition to those mentioned, if I see that Dick Gaffin has been involved with a project it automatically gains my respect. Same with D.A Carson. I just started reading Michael Morales and am impressed. In general, though, it seems that modern authors are trying to fit into secular academia.

I would add James R White.

I also may get some hate for this, but I would recommend John MacArthur as well. You have to read around his dispensationalism, but I think he has a lot of good content when the Millennial Kingdom doesn't come up.

These are all so great. I'm gonna make a list of the books and authors recommended. If anyone thinks of any more than feel free to name them. Otherwise, this is incredibly helpful.
@Semper Fidelis I will definitely start with that two volume set!

A book on justification and the New Perspective that I've gotten a lot out of is Stephen Westerholm's 'Perspectives Old and New on Paul: The "Lutheran" Paul and His Critics.' It goes through the early NPP authors, Stendahl, Sanders, Dunn, Wright and others. Also an historical overview from the church fathers and following. His later book, 'Justification Reconsidered: Rethinking A Pauline Theme' gave me a much better understanding of justification. He is not a follower of the NPP, but has a traditional view of justification.

https://www.amazon.com/Perspectives...1594419794&sprefix=stephen+wes,aps,176&sr=8-1

I'm recommending this 2-Volume work by Michael Horton to anyone who will heed me:

I had reached out to Mike after I read a few books my N.T. Wright in order to understand him (since Wright is so popular in some circles and I needed to get a handle on his method).

I gave my opinion to Mike about Wright and he confirmed my thoughts about where Wright goes (well) wrong. He told me that he dealt with Wright in his two volume work. He did, and then some.

This work is incredible. It traces the dogmatic and exegetical developments on Justification from the early Church to the present. It deals with every major thinker and traces development. Mike defends the Reformed view and demonstrates how many modern theologians (aka Wright) have failed to even read the Reformers even as they opine on what they taught in order to debunk them.

As Mike told me, it's standard Reformed theology but you walk away so thankful for how rich and Biblical our doctrine of Justification is.

I'm no prophet but this work could prove to be a very important work in years to come and be the most significant contribution he has made.
I second this. By far the best work, especially contemporary, on Justification. It nails the coffin on the NPP. All future arguments are dead on arrival.

Peter Sanlon, James Dolezal, John Fesko, Greg Beale, Joel Beeke, Peter Jensen, Kevin DeYoung, Phil Ryken, Daniel R. Hyde, many of the guys who contribute to the Confessional Presbyterian Journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back