Theological Precision Giving Way in Favor of Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
I found this book recommended by Backwoods Presbyterian/Ben Glaser very insightful on the origin of our modern holiday celebrations in America. This quote is in the context of how Christmas became accepted and started to take on some traditions formerly associated with New Years.

"For some Protestants, the exchange of gifts at New Year's, whatever the holiday's pagan associations, has been considered more acceptable than a similar observance of Christmas, with that holiday's dreaded Catholic connections. But as the theological precision and liturgical plainness that had long undergirded Calvinist opposition to Christmas gave way to liberal flexibility and romantic sentimentalism, the way was clear for middle-class Protestants to lift up Christmas a festival of home, church, Sunday school, and presents. By the 1850s and 1860s, fewer and fewer Protestants had scruples about Christmas, and most found Christmas presents well suited to religious reverence and domestic affection."

p. 125-126, Leigh Eric Schmidt, Consumer Rites: The Buying and Selling of American Holidays

That and some other sources point to multiple reasons. The great influx of Catholics mid century factored as well as the fact English Anglicans and Lutherans never rejected the holy days. Also, rot from within Presbyterianism in several waves selling Reformed continental liturgies against the plain puritan and Presbyterian worship did considerable damage, particularly since Presbyterians never go Reformed, the just let loose their inner Anglicanism. Then the Sunday School movement made the holiday part of it acceptable and that with liberal decline all led the the acceptability of bringing back the observance of the day in the churches as well as socially.

Regardless of the "holiday" issue, I'm distressed by the sentimentality that drifts into error: "... the little Lord Jesus no crying he makes." Really? We're not talking about a fully human baby here?

If I see xmas candy in the store, it's time for war. But I haven't seen any. But I didn't start it! I was just being helpful.:murray:
Fair response. The enemy draws metaphorical first blood with the first inflatable Santa or Candy Cane display. After that, it's WAR!!!!!

The war on Christmas will end when Christmas is eradicated. May it be soon.
This sort of Christmas-phobia is typical of Closeted Christmas-ophiles. I bet you have a hidden creche in a closet. You can come out of the closet anytime, brother.

Bwahahaha. My closet is filled with iconoclastic tools. No room for Jimmy the Shepherd manger danger.

Fair response. The enemy draws metaphorical first blood with the first inflatable Santa or Candy Cane display. After that, it's WAR!!!!!

I love the change of seasons but Halloween ruins it for me. Some people get weird with the decorations for Halloween. For this reason, I eagerly wait for Christmas.

So I had not really considered this before but now my interest is peaked. As one who isn’t around a lot of reformed folks and is only a couple years in to being reformed this is something I had not addressed yet. I am grateful the debate has started early as it allows time for me to dig in and make decisions for my family before the season is truly upon us. We do not do Santa but typically all of the other Christmas-y stuff and generally tie it to Christ as “the reason for the season”.

I did order the Puritan publication 3 pack to start reading on the subject.

If you become convinced, just don't think you have to reform everything at once. My view starting out was get it out of the church and any sort of worship. Ditch the holiday fun stuff as you see the need and opportunity. The holiday observances are not just that; it's family gatherings, etc. It's difficult for others to distinguish between rejecting holiday and holy day stuff and rejecting them. If you want all the yea or and nay, and other materials, search the old debates on this forum.

I will be in Texas next month. I am going to perform a covert midnight placing of inflatable reindeer and Santas all over the lawn of Chris' church there!

I will be in Texas next month. I am going to perform a covert midnight placing of inflatable reindeer and Santas all over the lawn of Chris' church there!
My home, sure; knock yourself out; just tacky kitsch and no one would notice in this neighborhood. My church! that is WAR!

I found this book recommended by Backwoods Presbyterian/Ben Glaser very insightful on the origin of our modern holiday celebrations in America. This quote is in the context of how Christmas became accepted and started to take on some traditions formerly associated with New Years.

"For some Protestants, the exchange of gifts at New Year's, whatever the holiday's pagan associations, has been considered more acceptable than a similar observance of Christmas, with that holiday's dreaded Catholic connections. But as the theological precision and liturgical plainness that had long undergirded Calvinist opposition to Christmas gave way to liberal flexibility and romantic sentimentalism, the way was clear for middle-class Protestants to lift up Christmas a festival of home, church, Sunday school, and presents. By the 1850s and 1860s, fewer and fewer Protestants had scruples about Christmas, and most found Christmas presents well suited to religious reverence and domestic affection."

p. 125-126, Leigh Eric Schmidt, Consumer Rites: The Buying and Selling of American Holidays
Back to the OP, has anyone else here read this book and have any thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back